Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's like saying the only American made beer you'll drink is Fat Tire. have fun with that, but you're missing out on a lot. like Fall of the Bastards.

I've got to say I'm not a huge fan of Fat Tire. It's like a slightly hoppier version of Bud Light. I've never been much of a fan.

I've got to say I'm not a huge fan of Fat Tire. It's like a slightly hoppier version of Bud Light. I've never been much of a fan.

Exactly. It's a lot like DK. It's really not very good, but for whatever reason a whole bunch of people are obsessed with it. :fro::ban::mug:

I used to drink a lot of Fat Tire about 15 years ago. I thought it was full of flavor compared to Bud & Busch. but I used to listen to a lot of DK for the same reason too. now they're both quite bland to me. bwahahahahaha!!

Fat tire is ok... But the best part of buying it is having a neat lookin bottle to fill with homebrew

I was in high school and we took a summer trip to visit a friend that had moved to San Diego. (mid 90's ish). We ran into these cool ass punks on the beach and partied with them. Didn't even realize that they were the US bombs until they invited us to their show the next night lol.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9JVetxGHrd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Atlanta locals Campaign

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5o1l-DZ0AU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is what its all about, ****ing wish I was at this show

sup all.great tread!
i was surprised that gg allen didn't get mentioned till the 12th page or something.
and i didn't read all 109 pages, about half. tons of great bands.
anyone hear of the fastbacks? couple chicks and a dude drummer from germany. 1990's. i'm not a big chick singer guy, but they stuck with me
also what about a thrash band called fudge tunnel?
good stuff.
as i got older and more into lsd, i got more into experimental/noise rock. sonic youth, fugazi, ect..
punk is the heart
and capital letters arent punk.
hhaaha

oh im 36

GG is hilarious, but if he were alive I would not let him with fifty yards of my fermentors. Talk about botulism! If you want to dig an awesome band that is relatively new, but soinds old, check out The Coathangers from Atlanta. Just that name for an all female band should tell you where this is going. Imagine joy division drumming (martin hannet era with the really speedy high hats) with Cramps riffs with some aroma hops of Sonics style garage and theramins.

Also, if anyone wants to dig a band that is pretty much The Clash meets Hot Water Music, check out The Menzingers. They are badass and from my hometown, Scranton PA. If you're from a working class town that the economy left behind, their song Chamberlain Waits will hit you. If you're not used to indie style vocals (not emo style, just also not Kieth Morris) it might be an adjustment. Many old heads in the punk world laud their work. They play from gut and are bringing punk back into accessible punk rock. But don't take my word, here is a quote from Brett Gerwitz of Bad Religion when he signed them to Epitaph (a huge day for us old heads from the Scranton punk days). "These guys play the kind of pure punk rock that I grew up with. They are seriously talented songwriters and I'm happy to welcome them to the Epitaph family. I think the band is a great fit here". I was hanging out with these guys Tuesday night in LA and they killed it.

GG may have been a pioneer & cornered the market on not giving a flocc, but he was f-ed in the head & disgusting. it always seemed like he had to prove to everyone how much he didn't care about anything. the same way fresh cuts have to prove they aren't racist. the same way young punks tend to prove they have a refined taste as well as being intelligent. and the same way it seems a great number of home brewers have to prove they're not beer snobs by bragging about enjoying BMC on a regular basis. in my eyes, GG was nothing great. he was no visionary. he was no artist. he was an angry man that took advantage of his anger and rebellion to justify doing whatever he wanted.

In response to your GG statement, I'd just like to point out that your quote says "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing".

In response to your GG statement, I'd just like to point out that your quote says "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing".
and I'd like to point out, I didn't say that. I can't even remember what that was inrespose to. either way, my sig does not justify GG being a piece of schelft. try to find something small and insignificant to justify the many actions? are we just talking a matter of degree? everything is a matter of degree. there is a point when the degree hits the level of unacceptable. you like ol' banana ass girl puncher? fine. I don't have to and no amount of justifying will ever change my mind on the subject.

and I'd like to point out, I didn't say that. I can't even remember what that was inrespose to. either way, my sig does not justify GG being a piece of schelft. try to find something small and insignificant to justify the many actions? are we just talking a matter of degree? everything is a matter of degree. there is a point when the degree hits the level of unacceptable. you like ol' banana ass girl puncher? fine. I don't have to and no amount of justifying will ever change my mind on the subject.

I can't say I'm a fan of GG Allin either. Never was, never will be. An ex-gf of mine really liked him and played some song about raping kids. She was saying it's funny. I told her that in itself is disturbing. The guy wasn't putting on an act, he MEANT those lyrics. He was seriously mentally disturbed and you can gain that knowledge simply by watching an interview with the guy.

Hey, I just reached HBT manhood, I had my first boil over "Wow" Ok for you purists out there NO the swmbo did not witness this event, so you may say I haven't reached full manhood until she sees the mess I just created. Please don't be a Buzz Kill let me enjoy the moment..

Enjoy it by all means. I don't know why you posted this in this thread though. Is being messy punk rock?

Haha, I used to joke about punk rock points all the time. Angry Young and Poor has a point system when you buy anything from them and that's what started the joke for me at least.

I used to tell people I had infinite punk rock points because I actually saw The Ramones live. It's amazing how quickly that shuts up the young "Punker than thou" kids. I love messing with them though. I use a line my boss uses. "I've forgotten more about punk rock than you'll ever know". :D They hate that.

Haha, I used to joke about punk rock points all the time. Angry Young and Poor has a point system when you buy anything from them and that's what started the joke for me at least.

I used to tell people I had infinite punk rock points because I actually saw The Ramones live. It's amazing how quickly that shuts up the young "Punker than thou" kids. I love messing with them though. I use a line my boss uses. "I've forgotten more about punk rock than you'll ever know". :D They hate that.

we joked about punk points in the mid '90s. it's amazing how many people thought it was real. that and we'd tell all the fresh one's that they had to earn their mohawks. hahaha!! one arrogant youngin' got all smart with me once and asked all smarmy like, "How'd you earn your hawk then?" my old roommate replied faster than me, "He killed a guy that questioned his hawk." the kid was quiet around me after that. hahaha!

we joked about punk points in the mid '90s. it's amazing how many people thought it was real. that and we'd tell all the fresh one's that they had to earn their mohawks. hahaha!! one arrogant youngin' got all smart with me once and asked all smarmy like, "How'd you earn your hawk then?" my old roommate replied faster than me, "He killed a guy that questioned his hawk." the kid was quiet around me after that. hahaha!

Awesome. :D

dfc said:
Enjoy it by all means. I don't know why you posted this in this thread though. Is being messy punk rock?

Lol I was wondering the same thing. Even showed it to swmbo who explained he probably hit the wrong thread

I'd like to point out that, as I do in most discussions about music, I was just f***ing with you man. I don't care what GG's legacy is any more than I care if the Cro-Mags are crossover or early hardcore. Some people think he's hilarious (me), some people think he stands for something and some think he's an overrated naked man who smelled of poop. I'm not quite sure any of it matters.

We used to joke about Punk Points and Show Cards. I'm glad these jokes were universal. BTW - Angry Young and Poor is out of Lancaster, right? I used to go to some shows in Stroudsberg, but mainly stuck to Wilkes Barre and Philly for nationally touring bands and Scranton for local shows.

I could never tell if he meant it or not. The people who worshiped him seem to have more problems than he did. I just think it's all funny. I started to leave the punk scene when it stopped being about having fun and became more about shoe gazing and ****. I can't take anything that seriously. I don't listen to GG, except for his cover of Waren Zevon's Carmelita. I do enjoy the reaction he gets though. But I'm not even the one who brought him up. I kinda just wanted to make a joke.

First off, the fact that GG Allin was brought up in a Homebrew forum is awesome! Second, I have a ton of GG Allin records and videos. Seriously, the amount of stuff I've collected is rediculous. But this has been over more than a 20 year period. I never met the man but judging from all the video and interviews I have seen and read, and from talking with his brother Merle on a few occations, the on stage GG Allin was quite a bit different than the off stage GG Allin. The onstage GG was the psycho you all know and love. The off stage GG was a different guy for the most part. I have video of him when it is just him and the band or other people he associated with and he is cracking jokes and just hanging out like anyone else. Well, other than the videos of him having women pee or poo on him. More than anything I think he was quite conscious of the on stage image he had to uphold, and was very vain in that he had to be the center of attention and wanted as many people as possible to know who he was. I believe he was business conscious as well. At least during the last tour in 93 he was, which is why he was on all those talk shows and was also contacting the local press in every town they played in pretending to be a manager for the Murder Junkies and inviting them out to the show. And maybe not even for money, but for more mainstream infamy. Not that the guy didn't have some rather obvious problems though. He definitely had a fetish for the pee and poo, loved violence and pain, and was definitely a junkie. But I don't think he was anywhere near as messed up mentally as people think he was, especially the worshippers. I'm certain that his lyrics mostly shock value with very little truth behind them. But more than anything, he was an entertainer. No one ever gave a more entertaining live show, or ever will, than GG, (GWAR does come close though). Even the shows where there was no pee or poo, no fighting, and little to no nudity were still more entertaining than any other band out there just for GG bashing his head in with whatever is near him and throwing himself all over the stage. The guy was an amazing entertainer. Sure it must've sucked for the people he attacked, hit, and threw poo at while playing live, but it's friggin' hilarious to watch! So have you stopped reading yet? Yeah, I have no idea why I felt the need to write all that.

On a completely unrelated note, I found this site yesterday: Ramones Download Sector. This guy has a ton of Ramones bootlegs posted, all working download links too! I have no affiliation with the site, just wanted to share.

I saw them in a lecture hall at Pitt. I went cuz the Lawrence Arms were playing but Rise Against were headlining. They totally ripped it up, all 50 people in attendance were going crazy, haha. It was a fantastic show. Two weeks later I saw them on MTV and was confused.

0000002jn.jpg

I remember these guys from when I was in high school their sound has changed a lot over the last 10-15 years.

Also, less than 2 weeks til the show, and I'm stoked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never cared much for GG, but when he was with the Jabbers that **** was awesome!

My ex-wife's brother is a member or Goldfinger and I still feel a loyalty to them. I like their older stuff. Their newer stuff is okay, but it's not the same.

My ex and I went to their concert in Seattle back in like 08 or 09 and watched as a man in the crowd happily ate a twinky from the ass cheeks of the drummer. Sometime later I was sitting in the Army dining facility with one of my soldiers and telling him something about Goldfinger, and my-at the time, brother-in-law in the band. My soldier was like "wait a minute, is he the f___in drummer?"

I said, "No, why?"

soldier, "My friend ate a twinky out of that dudes ass in Rhode Island several years ago!"

Don't think I've ever seen them live. If I did, it was a long time ago. Had completely forgotten about them until a few months ago when we got a copy of Kingpin on Netflix, and "Superman" starts playing. Which I hadn't seen in about as long. (I should add, that's when I remembered why I kept saying "bless you and your cat". Couldn't remember where I got it from until then)

goldfinger is a goody havent heard any of there new stuff but everything i heard of them was awesome sorta a sublime style with a great punk back bone

Since we're talking about a punk band that made it onto MTV in the mid 90's did anyone get into CIV's solo stuff?

Back