Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evets

Reaction score
Anyone making their own syrup? I thought I'd give it a try. I bought some spiles and a how-to manual and tapped my trees today. The sap started dripping immediately. Unfortunately, I only have Silver maples as opposed to Sugar maples. From what I've read though, they should still work, but I'll need to collect twice as much sap for the same end yield.

pizza 301.jpg

pizza 302.jpg

pizza 303.jpg

I have done it a bit over the past two years. It is relatively easy and I really enjoy it. It is still a bit early especially with the frigid cold coming tomorrow night. However, beginning Sunday I actually think that we might have a good week or so to tap the trees. There is all kinds of info on the net. Let me know how you do.

We collected a little more than 400 gallons of sap this afternoon just from the 2 day run. After I pumped it from the collecting tank up to the sugar house, I handed my buddy a 12 pack of home brew and told him to have fun stoking the fire. I am going back to work. :D

Have fun with your new hobby, it is a great time!

We collected a little more than 400 gallons of sap this afternoon just from the 2 day run. After I pumped it from the collecting tank up to the sugar house, I handed my buddy a 12 pack of home brew and told him to have fun stoking the fire. I am going back to work. :D

Have fun with your new hobby, it is a great time!

400 gallons! How many trees did you tap? I've only got 4 taps, 2 in each of 2 big trees. I don't need much. It just seemed like a fun thing to do.

We have 250 taps/lines ran for this year on the hunting property. Down from 370. We had a lot of line damage last year when we had a mini tornado that leveled a bunch of trees last July. It is a lot of work, but it is fun work.

Latest posts

Back