Help with First All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at all grain. :ban: I am trying to figure this out and could use some help. I am doing a Tank 7 clone (Saison). The following is my grain bill:

6.2# of Pale malt
1.7# of corn flakes
0.2# of malted white wheat

I got the clone mash schedule and it is the following:
63C for 50 min
68C for 25 min
73C for 15 min
75C before mashing off

Hops
Bramling cross 1 oz 60 min
Amarillo 0.8 Oz with 5 min left
Amarillo 0.5 oz at flame out

Targets
efficiency - 70%
SG - 1.071
IBUs - 38

I don't have a lot of equipmnet so I plan on about a 3 gallon boil size in a 6 gallon pot. I plan to do all of my mashing in a sparge bag in the brew kettle. I plan to use 1qt/# for mashing (8.3 quart) and then following the heating schedule above. I will then rinse (sparge) with enough water 170F water to get to about 3.5 gallons.

My questions

What does the term mashing off mean?
Do I need to be more scientific about calculating the amount of water I use to mash or sparge? I saw some calculators online like the one attached, but I don't know what they mean.
Any other advice?

mash.jpg

Important assuming you mean mash out instead of off. Mash out is an injection of hot water to get the mash above 170 F, to make sure conversion stops. With biab like you're doing, you don't need it. And don't worry about getting precise with the water amounts, it'll be beer anyhow, it just might be hard to exactly replicate later on. But for you're first AGAIN brew, sounds like you've got a good plan. RDWDAHB, and good luck!

Important assuming you mean mash out instead of off. Mash out is an injection of hot water to get the mash above 170 F, to make sure conversion stops. With biab like you're doing, you don't need it. And don't worry about getting precise with the water amounts, it'll be beer anyhow, it just might be hard to exactly replicate later on. But for you're first AGAIN brew, sounds like you've got a good plan. RDWDAHB, and good luck!

Thanks.

Kevin,

>> What does the term mashing off mean?

I think you men mash out, not mash off. Its the process of raising the mash temperature to around 170 to denature (destroy the enzymes) that convert sugar, so that the sugar profile stays at the level.

[hey - this is a USA site, whats with the Celsius. :p Now I gotta convert! :D]

I got the clone mash schedule and it is the following:
63C for 50 min [145F - this is on the low end, it will work, it will create a more fermentable (dry) wort]
68C for 25 min [154F - now the Alpha Amylase will be more effective, as the Beta amylase is denatured]
73C for 15 min [163F - what is the point of this? The prior mash step will be good enough]
75C before mashing off [167 - this is the mashout, to denature the enzymes]

>>I don't have a lot of equipmnet so I plan on about a 3 gallon boil size in a 6 gallon pot.
>> I plan to do all of my mashing in a sparge bag in the brew kettle.

This is called BIAB - Brew in a Bag. A method that is rising in popularity, and will one day supplant "traditional" mashing in a cooler ;)
There is a stick about it under the All Grain Folder.

>> I plan to use 1qt/# for mashing (8.3 quart)

I think that is a WAY TOO THICK mash. Use at least 1.25 Q/lb and probably 1.5Q/LB to 2Q/LB will give you better conversion and efficiency. Thats the advantage of BIAB.
For 8.3 lbs, use at least 12.5 Q of water.
I would use 16 quarts.

>> and then following the heating schedule above. I will then rinse (sparge) with enough water 170F water to get to about 3.5 gallons.

Just mash with more water. Then if you like, you can soak the grain bag in some additional water in a different pot, to wash out the extra sugar and reach your desired volume.

This is a neat calculator:
http://www.buildabeer.org/beerquickcalc.php

Thanks Arclight. Informative. I like the idea to soak the grain bag in a different pot of water instead of trying to rinse. How much water in the second pot?

Back