So I read on another forum that Texas just banned the Erlenmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like the document you've linked to says that Erlenmeyer flasks are a piece of controlled equipment at Texas schools, so you don't go all Breaking Bad and raid the chemistry storeroom to make meth.

That's how I read it but they were saying on this other thread (which is on a professional chemist forum, not for public use as you need to be a member) that all aftermarket sales were to be stopped of Erlenmeyers sometime this year in the state of Texas. This is the only link they provided and I couldn't find anything on snopes to confirm or deny this.

I'm sure you could still buy them and bring them over the border if this was indeed true. Stock up now if you need to. I'm sure AHS will chime in if they are indeed banned.

The link you posted was from 2005 and seemed to restrict flasks at the high schools. I wouldn't worry about it. It appears to be from the less government crowd.

You are supposed to fill out an application with dps. Look up the chemical precursor program. It is a violation to have the flask without the permit.

I bought one on Amazon, no problem. A friend went into a local homebrew store and they said they aren't allowed to sell them, thus the original post seems accurate on that accord.

Gotta love TX: free gun with purchase of a tank of gas, but the sale of lab equipment is banned. Those flasks are dangerous!

However, I will note that Austin Homebrew does sell flasks on their website, so something tells me this whole ban thing is a bit overrated.

That's how I read it but they were saying on this other thread (which is on a professional chemist forum, not for public use as you need to be a member) that all aftermarket sales were to be stopped of Erlenmeyers sometime this year in the state of Texas. This is the only link they provided and I couldn't find anything on snopes to confirm or deny this.

I'm sure you could still buy them and bring them over the border if this was indeed true. Stock up now if you need to. I'm sure AHS will chime in if they are indeed banned.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/different-erlenmeyer-flask-thread-144242/index2.html

But at least in Texas in is not illegal to sit in an idling vehicle for more than three minutes, stupid laws everywhere.

It is more of a stacking charge. L.E. is not going to go after people who own a flask, but if they bust your meth lab every flask with be an additional charge.

You are supposed to fill out an application with dps. Look up the chemical precursor program. It is a violation to have the flask without the permit.

If you possess any of the following in Texas, you are technically in violation of law unless you got a permit before taking delivery of it:

(A) a condenser
(B) a distilling apparatus
(C) a vacuum drier
(D) a three-neck or distilling flask
(E) a tableting machine
(F) an encapsulating machine
(G) a filter, Buchner, or separatory funnel
(H) an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck flask
(I) a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or filtering flask
(J) a Soxhlet extractor
(K) a transformer
(L) a flask heater
(M) a heating mantel or
(N) an adaptor tube

But don't worry. The laws have been in the books for 20+ years and are really intended to force businesses to keep an eye out for drug manufacturers. AHS put up a sign for a few months saying "all materials in the store are intended for production of beer and wine" which may have been related to the law. Apparently someone bought their plastic hydrometer tubes and was trying to distill or cook drugs in it and it exploded on them. The sign disappeared after a few months though.

Back