Hops poisonous to pets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that hops can be dangerous for some animals. This is why I throw my mash away if I do mash hopping, instead of use it for compost and bird feed.

Interesting. Maybe I'll leave some of the leftovers that I have laying around for the neighborhood cat that keeps pooping my my yard.

I was listening to the Brewing Network interview with Ralph Olson (hop union) and they mentioned that. He said he has looked into it and has seen dogs getting sick from hops once, and that report was never substantiated. But, I don't let my dogs eat hops but I am not going freak out if they nibble on a pellet.

There was a bunch of discussion on the greyhound forum last year, with the usual uninformed panic. No one was able to find any actual cases.

Any dog that eats my hop stash gets what they deserve. :mad:

Seriously, though, I hadn't thought about the mash hopping issue. I've never done that, but should I ever, I will not compost the spent grans as I normally do.

TL

ohiobrewtus said:
Interesting. Maybe I'll leave some of the leftovers that I have laying around for the neighborhood cat that keeps pooping my my yard.

Ditto on that! There are two cats that keep crapping in my flower beds, killed a new rose bush last year, the little bastards! Spawn of Satan I tell you!

Cheers

I suppose that makes sense. Tell me how you feel after eating a 2oz "hop salad"

EDIT: I mean the kind without barley, water, and yeast. Though Hop Salad would make a damn good name for a big, multi-hop IPA. I think I'll use that.

mrkristofo said:
I suppose that makes sense. Tell me how you feel after eating a 2oz "hop salad"

EDIT: I mean the kind without barley, water, and yeast. Though Hop Salad would make a damn good name for a big, multi-hop IPA. I think I'll use that.

It's Been done Here, But from looking at their site i don't think they make it anymore, sorry to burst any bubbles.

Cheers

Go figure, my dog and one of my cats are my beer taste testers. They really like the hoppier ones. The only one neither would go near ended up being the worst beer I ever made and no one wanted to drink it.

From above linked article:
"There have only been a handful of confirmed cases reported - around 9 dogs. Seven of the dogs were Greyhounds, one Labrador Retriever, an unknown breed, and most recently a Golden Retriever. 7 out of the 9 dogs died."

I think that is ten animals.

They say dogs aren't supposed to eat chocolate either but mine ate an entire bag of Reeses PB cups the kids left laying around once and it didn't even slow him down. I only found out because while mowing the lawn I kept coming across wrappers mixed in with his poop. The kids finally admited to what happened.

Milk chocolate has a lot less cocoa in it than you would think. It's a chemical in the cocoa that's poisonous. Dark chocolate, baker's chocolate, or cocoa powder can mess up a dog.

So I just got an oz of Cascade and I was taking in its glorious odor and i had the wife smell, disgusted. Then I suggested letting our 5 month old take a sniff and she protested claiming that the brief wiff of hop pellets could somehow damage our child's brain development. Sounded like horsesh*t to me. Anyone else heard anything?

BerserkerPaul said:
So I just got an oz of Cascade and I was taking in its glorious odor and i had the wife smell, disgusted. Then I suggested letting our 5 month old take a sniff and she protested claiming that the brief wiff of hop pellets could somehow damage our child's brain development. Sounded like horsesh*t to me. Anyone else heard anything?

No, if anything it should be helpful. My 3 year old daughter helped me pick cascade yesterday, after being with a cold, along with my wife, and 3month old son, I took the kids to work for my wife to rest, my son, I held a big handful of hops under his nose, and his and my daughters sinuses have cleared.

Probably off topic, but I have read about hops being used (smell only) to soothe babies. This was an article in a parenting magazine. While I am not sure of any science or anecdotal evidence, I really doubt it would hurt. I also read in a book about beer, I can't remember the name, but it mentioned many of the health benefits that hops has for people.

Edit: just read the OP and Pet issues

Back