think i lost alot of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a brewers best imperial blond extract kit. Moved wort from pot to bucket to pitch yeast then tried moving from bucket to carboy with a funnel....while doing so the funnel fell out onto the floor full of wort, think i may have lost alot of yeast....am i ok or should i get more yeast on monday....OG was 1.076

I would check tommorow and then on monday to see if you have signs of fermentation. If you do I would leave it alone. I am not sure why you moved the wort from the pot to a bucket to pitch the yeast and then to a corboy t ferment. instead of just pitching in the carboy or leave it in te bucket to ferment. I can not think of reason for the extra step.

This was my first time using a carboy as a primary and wasn't sure how to pitch yeast in it (stiring it in) and couldnt leave it in the buckrt cuz it is my botteling bucket that i need tomorrow for botteling another batch...thanx for the advice tho

Could have just dumped your yeast into the carboy, and then, used the spigot on the bottling bucket to move the wort over to the carboy. No funnel needed.

That said.. The yeast should have been mixed in, so yeah, you lost yeast AND wort.

Watch for fermentation.. Unless the funnel was full of nothing but yeast, in which case... just watch it. Don't over pitch if you don't need to.

No need to stir the yeast after pitching. It'll mix itself into the wort.

You can transfer the wort into the carboy using the funnel (maybe with a helper?) then pitch the yeast in through the same funnel.

Guess i paniced too soon...definetly have some action going on thos morning

ForumRunner_20120729_070843.jpg

Nope! That looks bad! Your beer is infected! :p

Yep, you're fine. Just pitch in the container you want to ferment your beer in. Word to fermentor yo.

Use the spigot, why didnt i think of that? duh....

It's okay. Normally I'm half lit when I'm brewing anyways.. Was a rational thought that wouldn't have come to mind if I were brewing normally.

I only mentioned it, because I did that the other week. I needed to strain my wort as I got a bunch of grain in it and didn't want to boil it with the grain in it. Strained it into my bottling bucket, and put it back into the kettle to boil.

When I was done, I was putting it in my glass carboy to ferment, and wanted to strain it out and aerate it. Poured the kettle through my strainer into my bottling bucket again, opened the valve and let the wort go through my tubing into my carboy. After a gallon or so, I pitched my yeast, and let the rest of the wort go through the bucket while I stirred it up and aerated it.

Worked well. Started in less than 4 hours, aerated well, strained it really well, and didn't lose a drop. Nice and clean transfer.

Back