Style you will never brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no intention to ever brew anything over 8% abv. I'll try most styles but I prefer about 8 styles and don't really need more variety than that.

Any belgian style beer. I can't stand that nasty bubblegum flavor.

Anything with rice or wheat especially weizen.

I brewed a CAP with rice and it always gave me a nasty hangover.

Don't imagine I will ever brew a Lager, and I'm not a huge fan of IPA's so that is not likely to happen either but I cant in good conscience say with 100% certainty that I will never brew any specific style.

Any type of wheat beer or one using a significant amount of wheat as the base grain. I just do not like them at all.

I will never brew an IPA for myself. I like ale, and lager, I like growing hops, but If I just wanted to taste hops I'd eat them. Look a new IPA, they shoveled hops in it, yay. Can't taste anything else in the beer..yay

I might brew lagers "Ale-style," where I would go for the lager's style knowing that it will have the ale taste. Other than that, I don't feel the need to lager anything.

I'll probably be hard pressed to brew a beer with honey in it. I've got too much to do to spend a day recovering.

Barleywine and RIS. Not very cost effective to brew, especially since I don't like them and wouldn't want two cases of bottles tied up that I could fill with something I would actually want to drink. Anything else is open for consideration.

ludomonster said:
I might brew lagers "Ale-style," where I would go for the lager's style knowing that it will have the ale taste. Other than that, I don't feel the need to lager anything.

I'll probably be hard pressed to brew a beer with honey in it. I've got too much to do to spend a day recovering.

You'd be suprised what you can do with white labs San Francisco lager if you can't actually lager. I made a California common and 2 CAP's with it last summer and they all turned out pretty good.

You'd be suprised what you can do with white labs San Francisco lager if you can't actually lager. I made a California common and 2 CAP's with it last summer and they all turned out pretty good.

+1, that yeast is amazing. I recently brewed a CA Common with it, washed the yeast and am doing a Baltic Porter with it now, and am considering a Dopplebock with it down the road.

I plan on making at least one of every beer style. There are several that i dont particularly like, but i just feel the need to make them all.

It's really funny to read all of the comments about not brewing an American Lite Lager. It's quite possibly the most difficult style to make and a very rewarding one if you can actually pull it off. This style really teaches you where flavors come from and helps you in other, more flavorful beers.

Hefe or anything with banana clove flavors that dominate the beer. That and heavily smoked beers - I don't want a beer that tastes like an ashtray.

I used to be a malty beer guy who thought he'd never brew an IPA - it's funny how after brewing for a couple years how your tastes change. Now 75% of what I brew is some variation of an IPA.

And after tasting some quality guezes and Flanders style beers, I've become a sourhead too. I've got 3 sours aging now, with another one planned to brew this week. It doesn't take that much extra equipment, and if you use your head and are sanitary it won't infect your other beers.

Morkin said:
It's really funny to read all of the comments about not brewing an American Lite Lager. It's quite possibly the most difficult style to make and a very rewarding one if you can actually pull it off. This style really teaches you where flavors come from and helps you in other, more flavorful beers.

I make one every year for Independence Day. It is difficult to make properly and it has made me a better brewer.

Any serious attempt at Barleywine or Old Ale. That is to say... I'm fine with "lighter" versions of these, but once you pass 10% alc., my interest wanes quickly. I have no desire to drink, say, a 16% barleywine.

Same goes for top-end Doppelbock and similar. I don't mind a 7% Doppel, but a 11-12% is just unnecessary, I would rather drink six tasty beers with low alcohol content, than drink one beer with the alcohol of a six-pack.

Aside from that? Very little comes to mind. I will brew pretty much anything just to try it out. I don't care if it's sour, weird, or otherwise.

American Light beer! I can get my water free from the tap without any effort than you very much!
Sour ales. I've started to gain an appreciation for sour ales recently. I like to have them when I go out on a occasion. But I can't imagine ever wanting 5 gallons of it not to mention the time it takes to make one.
It's unlikely I'd ever brew any heavily spiced beers again. I like to have one once in a while, but again the volume is too much and I get sick of it. I use to brew a chocolate mint stout which I liked. But I got sick of it after a few bottles.
Besides that, I can't think of anything I wouldn't try brewing.

As with food, I like all beer styles. Although some more than others. I can't think of a single beer that I just won't brew.

Saccharomyces said:
Amber ale... I just don't dig ambers.

All this hating of light lagers in this thread makes me want to re-brew my American light lager. :D

I don't know about hating, atleast on my part, but I find the process too tedious and time consuming for me to ever undertake an LAL especially when on the rare occasion I drink them there are plenty of fine commrcial representaions out there readily available.

I don't know about hating, atleast on my part, but I find the process too tedious and time consuming for me to ever undertake an LAL especially when on the rare occasion I drink them there are plenty of fine commrcial representaions out there readily available.

This why I said it. I might brew one eventually just to see if I could pull it off, but the instances where I want one are slim, and when I do I can just buy a commercial one for cheaper (at least when time and effort are factored in).

This why I said it. I might brew one eventually just to see if I could pull it off, but the instances where I want one are slim, and when I do I can just buy a commercial one for cheaper (at least when time and effort are factored in).

+1

I am on the same page so I have to say Lagers as well. Not that I dislike them, but they seem more challenging (and time consuming and expensive) to pull off correctly then most other styles and most other styles I would prefer to drink.

Lagers have a place in my heart though; out on the lake fishing on a hot summers day with a rod and reel in the other hand.

.when I read the title of this thread, I thought "theres no style i'd not brew", but then I thought of how I dislike sours, so my answer is sours.

Back