House Hunting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmars

EAC Wannabe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't had a lot of time for brewing lately. Been vacationing, working, and house hunting.

I've seen some interesting houses.

One I saw today would have been perfect, only it was waaaaay to big. It was an old farm house. The structure was in excellent condition. The only problem was that it would have taken too much to make into a home. The wall paper was hideous and it could definitely use new carpets on the floors that weren't hardwood.

Plus, we don't have enough furniture to fill it up. There would be quite a few rooms with nothing in them. And it would probably cost a fortune to heat.

On the plus side, there is plenty of room to set up a brewery. I could probably set up two! And it has a huge propane tank for the hot water heater.

Well, we have more to look. Maybe the perfect one will show up.

Thanks for "listening."

The West End of my town has all these old great houses that I would love to sink my teeth into...

IF I had the skills to do it myself and the deep wallet to get it done right.

I couldn't believe the prices people were asking for these houses that needed MAJOR work... I looked at one that was listed under a hundred k (moderately priced for my market) but still had the original 60 AMP service in it and had roof issues. I found house after house in my price range that had similar issues. Landscaping probs, structural questions, antiquated heating and/or NO cooling...

Old houses are great if you can do it right...

In the end I'm pretty happy with my 60's ranch with the detached garage and finished basement...

Now if SWMBO the clotheshorse will get rid of some of her CRAP... :D

Good Luck Evan, when you find it, you'll know it.

Ize

evanmars said:
Haven't had a lot of time for brewing lately. Been vacationing, working, and house hunting.

I've seen some interesting houses.

One I saw today would have been perfect, only it was waaaaay to big. It was an old farm house. The structure was in excellent condition. The only problem was that it would have taken too much to make into a home. The wall paper was hideous and it could definitely use new carpets on the floors that weren't hardwood.

Plus, we don't have enough furniture to fill it up. There would be quite a few rooms with nothing in them. And it would probably cost a fortune to heat.

On the plus side, there is plenty of room to set up a brewery. I could probably set up two! And it has a huge propane tank for the hot water heater.

Well, we have more to look. Maybe the perfect one will show up.

Thanks for "listening."

Been there, done that. My house that I bought was the same, but on 4+ acres 30 minutes from downtown Austin, 15 minutes from Lake Travis, & 30 minutes from the Airport. The house was (is) crap, but location is 90%. Location, location, location. It's coming around and eventually I'll have my brew hut cause I have room for it. It will be like this puppy.

MyBrewHut.jpg

In the mean time, we pulled off all the wallpaper that was on every room including the doors, painted the inside, put in new wireing, and just recently Anderson windows. Yes, it is a money pit, but my home brew eases the pain :D

I also have room for horses & hops.

I have in-laws in the Austin area. I love it around there. Was looking for a job there a few years ago, but there doesn't seem to be much call for controls engineers around there.

Good luck with the search! I'd love to find an old farmhouse I could spend ten years fixing up. I know of one for sale up in the Savoy forest, in the middle of nowhere - with lots of wild hops growing! If I had a bit more coin.......

Well, my $0.02. :D

The original part of our home was built in 1870. When we saw the place, we knew it was what we were looking for. It has been SO MUCH work and quite a lot of money. If you have the skills and a good chunk of cash to invest in the remodel, (plus the drive...and tbh it can really get depressing when you see how much work you didn't see at first :D), and as Ed stated is in a good location you will probably come out with a house that has tremendous value if you can get through from 'here to there' so to speak.

There are no 'perfect' houses either. Even the people I know who build from scratch, from their own design tell me things they "should have done" in the house design. What is important (imo) is that the place has potential for future endeavors.

evanmars said:
I have in-laws in the Austin area. I love it around there. Was looking for a job there a few years ago, but there doesn't seem to be much call for controls engineers around there.

Now that surprises me. When I got out of school, that was one of the 'spots' for engineering job hunting.

Lots of programming type stuff, but no industrial type engineering. I design electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic controls for industrial machinery. Mosty in the automotive field.

Anyway, we found a house up in Bennington, VT. Plenty of room for a brewery. WooHoo!

Didn't think it would happen so quickly. The house needs some cosmetic work, paint, trim, carpets, etc. Nothing major, the carpets are OK but not something we want to keep. We offered ten-grand less than what they were asking (after they had already dropped the price thirty-grand from their original price), and they accepted in less than a day.

The wife also got a job. Her pay will basically cover the mortgage and some other expenses.

Again I say, "WooHoo!"

AWESOME NEWS!

You having a housewarming? ;) Let me know if you need help moving, I'll more than happy to chip in (since I know they'll be good homebrews at the end :D).

I may take you up on that. Not sure about how much good brew will be available. Haven't been brewing much lately and have been working on getting rid of what I do have.

I do have a kegs of Apfelwine, Scottish Ale, Rootbeer, and Gingerbeer.

Nothing wrong with too much house. Close off the extra rooms for the time being. If the place needs work, even better, because you can live in some of the rooms and renovate others. If it's two-story, do the upstairs first.

That'd be cool. Not sure when it'll be. Our closing date is Aug-31, but may happen sooner. Then we plan on doing some painting, etc. before we actually move. Then, since we both work in Bennington and the kidlet goes to school there, we are going to just bring a carload up every day and drop it off after work. Then the big stuff is going. Rent is paid through September.

That'd be cool. Not sure when it'll be. Our closing date is Aug-31, but may happen sooner. Then we plan on doing some painting, etc. before we actually move. Then, since we both work in Bennington and the kidlet goes to school there, we are going to just bring a carload up every day and drop it off after work. Then the big stuff is going. Rent is paid through September.

Back