Water Filtration & Beer Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Right now, I use a 'whole house' system to filter my beer (5 micron down to 1 micron). I've got a buddy who's willing to help me out with some filters.

What should I get from this site for water and beer filtration?

Clicky

First you should get a water report from your local DPU/water source. Some folks are downright blessed with their water.

Not sure about Charlotte, N.C. tap water, but I'm going to say you're moderately alkaline to soft.

Depending on the chemistry of your water, you may not even need a filter! However, I would recommend getting

http://www.protectionforliving.com/waterfilters.php?cat=5

with

http://www.protectionforliving.com/waterfilters.php?cat=9 (CARBON FILTER, BOTTOM OF PAGE).

Carbon filters filter out ammonides + chlorides, which contribute negatively to taste + smell in water as well as contribute clarity.

I usually attach mine to a hose, but I'm planning on installing it sometime into the actual piping in the basement. Your beers will be delicious!

If you wanna go gung ho, get a Reverse Osmosis filter and build your water table from there!

I'm on a well...and the water tastes pretty darn good!

Thanks for the other advice!

I'm on a well...and the water tastes pretty darn good!

Thanks for the other advice!

How close are you to the Blue Ridges?

And you can always take a sample of your water and send it out to Ward Labs to get a brewers' report. I think it costs like 30$ including shipping. That way you have a really great informational base to make your beers.

Filter water the only filtering my beer needs is done by the evil well punished liver, good brewing technique will produce clear beer (depending on style) filter removes to many of the goodies that make "a living beer" healthy as well as great tasting...........m.02

By the way: my advice was for WATER FILTRATION only.

Beer filtration? Forget it. Filtered beer tastes like ass cakes.

Beer filtration? Forget it. Filtered beer tastes like ass cakes.

Don't particularly agree with this but whatever. Depending on beer style, you're probably going to have more of a hassle with re-introducing essential brewing minerals if you were to go with a R/O type system that removes EVERYTHING from your water. Most of the compounds in our water are good for most beer styles. I use a basic carbon filter to remove excess chlorine and call it a day.

Back