I'm not a newb.... but,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I can't seem to answer this basic question:
when I keg, I fill with co2 to purge the oxygen using the relief valve on keg. But, when I bottled, I just added priming sugar and capped, leaving an oxygen headspace.

why does that oxygen headspace not ruin the beer?

By adding sugar you're restarting fermentation, so the yeast will take up the fairly small amount of O2 in the head space.

I have read that its not a bad idea to leave the caps loose for a few minutes after you fill the bottles. Giving, we are to assume, time for the CO2 time to push the O2 from the head space.

No doubt there is science to back it up.

I have read that its not a bad idea to leave the caps loose for a few minutes after you fill the bottles. Giving, we are to assume, time for the CO2 time to push the O2 from the head space.

No doubt there is science to back it up.

Does the fermentation really start that quickly? I tend to doubt it...

I dont think so either. But, as I have read there is a fair amount of CO2 that is suspended in your brew. When you rack it, you are going to displace it and as the story goes, push the evil beer killing nastys O2 out of the head space.

Back