Rauchbier - critique, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disi

Reaction score
I have tasted rauchbier made of 100% smoked malt, and absolutely loved it. I fear some of my friends wouldn't, so I've been toying around until I came up with this recipe. My aim is a slightly malty beer, but with a obvious, yet tolerable smoke. The roasted barley I threw in for coloring.

I only use Weyermann malts from Germany, by the way.

Oh, and suggestions for a dry yeast would be greatly appreciated, too! :)
Code:
Style: Classic Rauchbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35,0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 18,93 L      
Boil Size: 22,71 L
Estimated OG: 1,056 SG
Estimated Color: 16,7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26,3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
2,37 kg       Smoked Malt (9,0 SRM)                     Grain        50,75 %       
1,35 kg       Premium Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2,0 SRM)     Grain        28,91 %       
0,35 kg       Munich Malt (9,0 SRM)                     Grain        7,49 %        
0,26 kg       Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM)              Grain        5,57 %        
0,22 kg       CaraMunich II (60,0 SRM)                  Grain        4,71 %        
0,12 kg       Roasted Barley Ger (300,0 SRM)            Grain        2,57 %        
18,00 gm      Perle [8,00 %]  (60 min)                  Hops         17,6 IBU      
25,00 gm      Spalter [4,10 %]  (25 min)                Hops         8,7 IBU

My single most favorite style. I noticed my rauchbier thread from 05 in the "similar threads" and looked to see what I used for a recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/rauchbier-3963/

I am finding that most attempts for a traditional rauchbier recipes are very similiar. A blend of smoked/pils/munich, some crystal and a dark malt for color. Outside of the dextrine, your right in the norm.

Thank you all, for at least assuring me that I'm not way off. Playing by ear with the BJCP style guide as a reference isn't really straight forward.

The CaraPils I decided to add for hopefully, a slightly more mouthfeel and head retention. Perhaps wheat malt would be just as good?

A smoked beer is in my not to distant future and I have been researching recipes and methods for a couple weeks.

I saw you asked for dry yeast recommendations. HBT member BierMuncher has a very popular smoked porter recipe that uses SO4 dry yeast. It would prob work just fine for a slightly lighter beer as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/loon-lake-smoked-porter-award-winner-90531/

I "tolerated" ;) going to the Schlenkerla almost every week for 5 years when I worked in Bamberg.

While I like their brew I preferred other local brews that were only slightly smoked.

I made a batch of Kaiserdom Rachbier from Clone Brews that uses only 1 lb of rauch malt. I really like the subtle flavor, but may up it to 1.5 - 2 lbs next time.

I "tolerated" ;) going to the Schlenkerla almost every week for 5 years when I worked in Bamberg.

While I like their brew I preferred other local brews that were only slightly smoked.

I made a batch of Kaiserdom Rachbier from Clone Brews that uses only 1 lb of rauch malt. I really like the subtle flavor, but may up it to 1.5 - 2 lbs next time.

Yeah, I really enjoy the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen myself, but as mentioned before, I doubt most of my Heineken and Carlsberg quaffing buddies would. Trying to ease them into more complex and, in my opinion, better beers, so I don't want to overwhelm them, yet without entirely sacrificing the smoky goodness that I enjoy so much. :)

Latest posts

Back