When will it clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
My Nut Brown Ale has been in primary(and only) for 2 weeks to the day. It has stopped bubbling from what I can tell, but is still cloudy as all hell. I haven't bothered measuring the SG because I dont want to bottle till it's cleared out a bit. My pouring from kettle to carboy was less than "clean" but I assumed it would eventually clear.

How much longer would you think for it to clear?

Specialty Grains
0.25 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate
0.25 lbs. Dingemans Special B
0.25 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
0.25 lbs. Briess Special Roast

Fermentables
6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup

Boil Additions
1 oz. Challenger (60 min)
1 oz. Fuggle (1 min)

Yeast
Wyeast #1028 London Ale Yeast.

It depends on what temp it's sat at and whether or not you used finings.
Are you not going with a secondary.

If not I'd leave it 3 to four weeks.

You can always add a fining agent if needed.

It has been in the high-low 70s for the 2 weeks. I didn't use any finings and from what I've read I dont really think a secondary is necessary, I'm not planning on aging it for an extended period of time.

I always use a secondary, because I like my beers clear. It's not necessary at all, but if having it clear is important to you I would highly recommend it. Rack it off the trub and then cool it down a lot if you can, and that usually will clear it right up.

Yeah but I'd have to order it from half-way across the country, I don't have a LHBS. I'd feel stupid ordering $1.25 worth of stuff. I have a shipment coming from Northern Brewer tomorrow(today?) which will give me some stuff to brew and distract myself with, I was kind of counting on that primary being emptied out by now though. :(

pfranco81 said:
Yeah but I'd have to order it from half-way across the country, I don't have a LHBS. I'd feel stupid ordering $1.25 worth of stuff.
Nah...head to your grocery store, for Knox gelatin.

Personally, I think allowing your beer to clear in a secondary for a few weeks is a better option. In the old days, I skipped the secondary and my brew was always cloudy. It still tasted OK, but the haze discouraged some folks I offered my beer to. Now I'm using my carboy as a secondary, and my beer is nice and clear.

Definitely don't strain it through cheesecloth or anything like that! You'll aerate you good beer and it won't work that well anyway. You just need to siphon it from above the trub. If you need to get it out of the primary, you should use a secondary. If you can wait a week or two, it'll be clearing up some. I personally don't use any finings in my beer because it's more of a hassle than just using a secondary.

Back