Canning Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I made my first batch using this pot, wrongly assuming it was enamel. Upon further consideration, it's a steel/porcelain "canning" pot (something you'd use to seal jars of preserves in boiling water), very much like this one.

Is this okay to use for brewing? I did use it once already, but it was for an all extract brew, and I haven't tasted a final product to know if the flavor was off.

A couple things that might present a problem is that it's very thin/lightweight, and it has ridges on the bottom of the pot.

Anyone use a canning pot before? Think it's okay for further brews?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. One usually cans using Mason Jars.

However, I have never seen anyone "can" pot before. It usually just goes up in smoke!

:)

KillJoy

They're fine. I used one for several years before moving up to a Polarware. It's said to be a bad thing when they chip and the wort is exposed to the raw steel but I lived with a couple small ones without ill effect.

Personally I would go to Wal-Mart and drop $50 for their 22 quart tri-clad stainless stock pot. It will never wear out and very resistant to scorching.

0001601701250_300X300.jpg

The pot is fine, as long as it isn't chipped as stated above.

As soon as you want to "upgrade" your pot, I would go with a 30 qt. (or larger) aluminum pot so you can do full wort boils.

Thanks. Yup, the pot is pretty much new, no chips or anything. It only just occurred to me that it probably wasn't what people meant when they said "enamel pot" so I wanted to check.

I'll eventually upgrade, but since this pot is okay to use, I'll save the money for now. I won't get to AG or even partial mash for at least another few brews.

I made over thirty brews with my 15 qt enamel that I got at wall mart. I have upgraded to a 7 1/2 gallon aluminum but I still use the enamel in the kitchen.

Nice. That canner was a lucky find. Had it in the garage for years with no use. Saved me a good $50 or more on initial equipment. I'm hoping to continue to utilize it when starting partial mash and BIAB methods.

I'm guessing a 5-6 gallon pot is about as big as you can go for the kitchen? I'd get a bigger one, but have no way of using it outside at the moment anyway. I figured once I got into AG I might pick up a turkey fryer rig.

I used one too. I want to save up and get a nice big kettle so buying a cheap one now is kind of a waste. I borrowed one off of the mother in law.

I used one too. I want to save up and get a nice big kettle so buying a cheap one now is kind of a waste. I borrowed one off of the mother in law.

I know what you mean. I was looking at the cheaper stainless steel pots and reviews for them are pretty bad. They are thin and warp easy and things like that. That's another reason I figured I'd get as many miles as I could out of this one.

Back