Outdoor burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grid_Iron_Gang

Reaction score
I've been looking at a few different burners for doing 5 gallon all-grain batches, and I've seen some reviews that suggest the Bayou Classic KAB4 is some what difficult to control in terms of getting the amount of heat to produce a nice rolling boil without boilover. Does anyone have any experience using this burner? Is there an easy solution that you've found?

Also, I would be curious about your thoughts on the KAB4 (210k BTU) vs. the SP-10 (185k BTU). Does the difference in BTU really matter when only doing 5 gallon batches?

Thanks!

I got a 120k BTU burner from Academy (their house brand - "Outdoor Gourmet") for $30. Its quiet, efficient, sturdy, and cheap. Not pretty though.

Also, whatever burner you get, I highly recommend getting a one that has only three legs, not four. With four legs the surface you sit it on needs to be perfectly level else it will rock back and forth. There's no way for a three-legged burner to rock like that.

Back