Using hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I know...I know...I'm a fricken noob.

I'm trying to take my first gravity reading from the primary and I don't think I'm doing something right.

So it's been ferementing two weeks...grabbed a sample and filled my test tube thing about half way full, is that too much?

My reading was at 1.080 but that can't be right.

Also just sampled some, not to bad. It's suppose to be a Bev. Hefe and the taste is there maybe a little water down, but all and all for only two weeks I'm thinking it's on track.

you can't really fill the tube too much (as far as taking an accurate reading; you can fill it 'too much' so that some spills out when you put the hydrometer in; and you in effect waste more beer, but it won't make the reading inaccurate - as long as it's freely floating you're good)

OK finally got it...the hyrdometer is finally freely floating, I guess I didn't have enough in the tube at first. THanks guys!

I always put my hydrometer in the sample tube and then fill it until the hydro moves.

That's what I did on my second attempt, and YES much much better results :)

I felt like an idiot when I was getting a reading of 1.080...I was about to throw up my hands and say crap you don't deserve to be in the hobby.

That's a good idea about putting the hydrometer in first. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

Back