Brewers Union Local 180

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our homebrew club took a bus trip there a month or so ago. There were 5 or 6 cask conditioned beers on handpump. I enjoyed all the beers I tried. One of the two IPA's they had was really tasty. The pub is nice. They have a pool table and a dart board. A decent pub menu. The brewery is very tiny, smaller than my 1 car garage.

Did you end up going?? That place is about 30 minutes from me so interested in hearing your opinions.

Yes, we went and had fun.

The bartenders were exceptionally friendly and cool to talk with etc.

Later in the evening I introduced myself to the owner (Ted) and I have to say he is one of the most down-to-earth and easy-going guys you'll ever meet. The next thing I know my girlfriend and I are in getting a tour of the brewery (which is nothing fancy at all and very small, but it made me smile because it's proof that it's about the beer not the equipment).

His sparge arm was made from a sprinkler head and turned upside down. The kind of brass tube sprinkler head that is about 8 inches long, bent at the tips, has numerous holes along it's length and spins.

Unless I'm heard him wrong, Ted told me that his only ferments for about 4 days (in a big, rectangular, stainless steel fermenter) and then he crash cools it and racks it into these cool firkins made of plastic. When I guessed that it probably conditioned in those for about 3 or 4 weeks, he stated that he only has it in those for about 1 week before they are ready to serve! How can this be?

He told me that he used Dry Nottingham for every single one of his many beers on tap. He uses a "sparkler" or "beer engine" as I've heard it called. Maybe those are two different things, but either way it's fun to watch the bartenders "pull" on the levers three or four times to fill your "true pint" that is marked with a line at the 1/2 pint and full pint levels.

Ted likes that his beer can be tasted at the warmer cellar temps. that he serves it at and that due to the low alcohol volume, they are true session beers. He taught me to take a mouthful with each swig, just like the British.

I'm a little afraid that most folks may be turned off by the temp. of the beer (much warmer than what we are used to). It keeps it's head to the end, but is much less "fizzy" than our craft beers in America. It's very very smooth, but a little flatter than what we are used to.

The food was excellent. A lot of British type stuff. I had Mashers and Brauts (mashed potatoes with sausage gravy and sliced Bratwurst). My girlfriend had an excellent chicken sandwich.

Overall, I would say that due to the lack of a t.v. (that's a good thing) and no music, it made me feel like I was at a great party at someone's house. Everyone was having great conversation and laughing etc. It didn't matter if you knew someone or not, you would just end up "shootin' the ****" with someone nearby. A very casual environment. A bartendar told me that when it's slower they will crank on some tunes and at times they will pop a DVD Movie in and the few that are there will drink and watch a movie. Pretty cool.

I hope he succeeds in this VERY small community because he is one hell of a nice guy. He has a blog if you want to check it out. Just google Brewers Union Local 180 Blog or follow the link from their website.

If you live in the area, please stop by, have a pint or two and help Ted succeed. I know I will drive up there whenever possible.

Our homebrew club took a bus trip there a month or so ago. There were 5 or 6 cask conditioned beers on handpump. I enjoyed all the beers I tried. One of the two IPA's they had was really tasty. The pub is nice. They have a pool table and a dart board. A decent pub menu. The brewery is very tiny, smaller than my 1 car garage.

If you are with Cascade Homebrewers Society, I think I am going to join and attend this months meeting. Please introduce yourself to "the new guy!"

My name is Dan>

Looks like a great place - needless to say we have nothing of that nature here. Now I have another reason to convince SWMBO that we need to visit the pacific northwest.

Hey Dan,

Yes, my wife and I are members of CBS. We hope you do come to the next meeting. We have grown quite a lot this last year. There are about 30 people who regularly come to the meetings. The is always room for more! We are Tom and Teri and hope to see you there.

BTW, my wife and I will be hosting a Real Ale night sometime in April. The goal it to have people bring their cask conditioned beers and serve them with out CO2. I'll also have my beer engine hooked up.

Hey Dan,

Yes, my wife and I are members of CBS. We hope you do come to the next meeting. We have grown quite a lot this last year. There are about 30 people who regularly come to the meetings. The is always room for more! We are Tom and Teri and hope to see you there.

BTW, my wife and I will be hosting a Real Ale night sometime in April. The goal it to have people bring their cask conditioned beers and serve them with out CO2. I'll also have my beer engine hooked up.

That sounds like fun. I'm just about to do my first all-grain. I'm a mash tun away.

I have a crazy schedule as an Air Traffic Controller and I work on Monday nights, but I'm hoping to makes the meetings at least every other month if I can get some shift-trades with my coworkers. I'm sure some quality homebrew will help with those requests!!

See ya!
Dan

That sounds like fun. I'm just about to do my first all-grain. I'm a mash tun away.

I have a crazy schedule as an Air Traffic Controller and I work on Monday nights, but I'm hoping to makes the meetings at least every other month if I can get some shift-trades with my coworkers. I'm sure some quality homebrew will help with those requests!!

See ya!
Dan

Hey Dan,

My son is an ATC at LAX. What are your days off? I would be willing to help you out on your first AG.

Cheers,
Tom

Hey Dan,

My son is an ATC at LAX. What are your days off? I would be willing to help you out on your first AG.

Cheers,
Tom

That's wild. How long has your son been in the FAA? I've been in for 22 years. My days off are Saturday and Sunday every week (took me NUMEROUS years to get weekends off).

I would love it if you would come over and help us with our first AG. Denny has already been generous enough to have us out to his place in a couple of weeks to observe him brew up a batch and I can't wait for that.

I will be looking forward to meeting you and all the other Cascade folks.
Dan

Dan,

My weekends are free and I would love to come help you out. Email me at tom @ tomandteri dot com

My son is pretty new. He did 2 years CTI at University of Alaska, and 6 weeks at Oklahoma City. He started LAX Dec 1 and recently got certified on CD1, CD2, Gate Hold and Flight Data.

FYI to all you Cascade peeps: this month ECB will be having a firkin of Mogul Madness. It should be quite tasty.

Dan,

My weekends are free and I would love to come help you out. Email me at tom @ tomandteri dot com

My son is pretty new. He did 2 years CTI at University of Alaska, and 6 weeks at Oklahoma City. He started LAX Dec 1 and recently got certified on CD1, CD2, Gate Hold and Flight Data.

I'll email you and we can get this discussion off the board. I'm sure others will appreciate that. :)

Back