Formulating Oatmeal Stout recipe- C/C wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyangler18

Reaction score
Oatmeal Stout (in process)

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
13C-Stout-Oatmeal Stout

Minimum OG: 1.048 SG Maximum OG: 1.065 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.018 SG
Minimum IBU: 25 IBU Maximum IBU: 40 IBU
Minimum Color: 22.0 SRM Maximum Color: 40.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.50 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG
Expected OG: 1.055 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.5 %
Expected ABW: 4.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 33.5 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 37.1 SRM

Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 66 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Marris Otter 7lb 8oz 73.6 % 5.0 In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Oats 1lb 0oz 9.8 % 0.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 9.00 oz 5.5 % 68.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Chocolate Malt 9.00 oz 5.5 % 21.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 120L Malt 9.00 oz 5.5 % 12.9 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 2.00 oz 33.5 Loose Whole Hops 60 Min From End

Yeast
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 154 degF 60

Looks good to me! I'd leave the Crystal out of it, first because I don't like the flavors of dark Crystal malts in stout, and second because I think your grist will provide sufficiently firm body without it. I have a small amount of mid-range crystal in an extract stout I sometimes brew, just to provide some body.

But it's your beer! And again, as written, it looks like it'll make a good beer.

Cheers,

Bob

I was hoping I'd be hearing from you on this, Bob! My reasoning for including the crystal is to balance the assertive roastiness from the roasted barley- but I suspect that it's an unnecessary addition. Given the current grainbill, do you anticipate any flavor/body contribution from the crystal, or is it a superfluous addition?

The 120L would provide dark fruit notes and, to me, a burnt sweet note, almost bittersweet. Nine ounces in a 80% eff mash is quite a lot, especially in a 1.055 OG beer.

If you like 120L, try it as is and see. You'll have a good beer suited to your tastes.

Me, I like the roasty. :D

I was hoping I'd be hearing from you on this, Bob!

I live but to serve. :D

My reasoning for including the crystal is to balance the assertive roastiness from the roasted barley- but I suspect that it's an unnecessary addition.

But my dear FlyAngler, what is the purpose of stout? As a vehicle for assertive roastiness! If the roastiness isn't assertive, it is no longer a stout. I'm blithely unconcerned with what it is; what's important is that it is not a stout.

This is the crux of the whole Porter vs. Stout argument, in my book. Stout is supposed to be one-dimensional, and that one dimension is roasted barley. Stout is a vehicle for the delivery of roasted-barley flavor. Porter, on the other hand, can have a wide spectrum of roasted-grain flavor, including a proportion of crystal sweetness. There is a depth of complexity to Porter that makes it interesting. But Stout? Let there be roasted-barley bitterness with a smooth, creamy mouthfeel; whether the creaminess comes from flaked oats or flaked barley is of little consequence, save what style goes on the beer: if it's oats, it's Oatmeal Stout, if it's flaked barley, it's Dry Stout.

Okay, that was a long-winded display of verbiage to get at the salient point: In my not-so-humble opinion, the only difference between Dry and Oatmeal Stout is the substitution of oats for barley in Oatmeal Stout. The grists are just as simple - pale malt, flaked grain, roasted barley. Done.

Given the current grainbill, do you anticipate any flavor/body contribution from the crystal, or is it a superfluous addition?

I think there is going to be a significant contribution. 120L Crystal provides quite a lot of raisin, currant, fig and date flavor, as well as a lot of fullness in the mouth. I'm convinced it will compete with the oats, to the detriment of the beer.

Again, it's your call. I don't want to force you into adhering to my concepts, or to BJCP or AHA styles. The joy of homebrewing is making the beer you want. I know what I like, and I'm passionate about simplicity. Thanks for valuing my opinion!

Bob

But my dear FlyAngler, what is the purpose of stout? As a vehicle for assertive roastiness! If the roastiness isn't assertive, it is no longer a stout. I'm blithely unconcerned with what it is; what's important is that it is not a stout.

Call me Jason- since we're on a first name basis. :D

I certainly appreciate your insights. I was on the fence about adding the 120L in the first place, and I'm now quite satisfied that its flavor contributions will be more suitable in another recipe- perhaps a porter as you suggest. ;)

Oatmeal Stout (in process)

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
13C-Stout-Oatmeal Stout

Minimum OG: 1.048 SG Maximum OG: 1.065 SG
Minimum FG: 1.010 SG Maximum FG: 1.018 SG
Minimum IBU: 25 IBU Maximum IBU: 40 IBU
Minimum Color: 22.0 SRM Maximum Color: 40.0 SRM

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 7.00 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.50 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.50 US gals

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG
Expected OG: 1.055 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.5 %
Expected ABW: 4.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 33.5 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 37.1 SRM

Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 66 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Marris Otter 7lb 8oz 73.6 % 5.0 In Mash/Steeped
US Flaked Oats 1lb 0oz 9.8 % 0.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 9.00 oz 5.5 % 68.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Chocolate Malt 9.00 oz 5.5 % 21.4 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 2.00 oz 33.5 Loose Whole Hops 60 Min From End

Yeast
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (68C/154F)

Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 154 degF 60

Call me Jason- since we're on a first name basis.

Jason it is, then.

I certainly appreciate your insights. I was on the fence about adding the 120L in the first place, and I'm now quite satisfied that its flavor contributions will be more suitable in another recipe- perhaps a porter as you suggest.

I'm glad you decided to do that. Overall, your original recipe idea was good, but a touch too complex.

[recipe snipped - it sounds GOOD! :) ]

Back