Automated Rig Piping review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your planning to sell them with position control capability also?

If I was doing it again I would put a 3pc ball valve on the outlet of each pump for flow control and everything else would be butterfly.

Your planning to sell them with position control capability also?

If I was doing it again I would put a 3pc ball valve on the outlet of each pump for flow control and everything else would be butterfly.

Why not butterfly on the pumps too? Better linearity (if that's a word :D) than a ball valve.

Why not butterfly on the pumps too? Better linearity (if that's a word :D) than a ball valve.

Yea thats true.

I used a NPT 3pc ball valve and a TC 3pc ball valve to make 2x NPT to TC ball valves. I liked this setup so I pictured sticking with it (didn't want to modify the pump). A butterfly valve would work too.

Allan, Can I see what valve you have built?

I backed away from doing motorized valves and went with TriClamps, so I doubt it's much help to you. My work in progress is here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/single-tier-eherms-triclamp-mostly-build-372976/

IMG_0931.jpg

I love the brewery! great job so far

I went with 8 motorized valves. They are a little custom from the manufacturer. Just 2NM force over 1nm that people normally get. I didnt want to deal with stuck valves. But at the moment im working on integrating actuators with TC butterfly valves. When I get the stand completed I will post pictures of all the crazy amount of TCs and stainless I have.

Thanks. Motorized TC butterfly would be my ideal. I'd love to see what you come up with eventually.

No progress on the valves, I have purchased 3 different ones all 1 inch tri. I own the economy, 3 peice, and butterfly and they are all really hard to turn. definitely over 10nm. But don't lose faith I am working on them diligently along with moving this week.

I think a lot of my problems are because I cant seem to find out how much force it takes to turn this valve. Not that I cant do the math but their are zero specs out their.

Im eating my words, after searching for a week or so I finally found them. The butterfly valve is saying 13 ft lbs "max" torque, the actuator I am sourcing is 7.3 ft lbs. Should work.

Cool, keep me posted. I'll figure out my layout for plumbing in the next few weeks for the new build

Yeah i will. Their are a lot of factors that will determine how far I take this. Most of them come down to Feasibility. I still need the actuator in hand from china, CAD up the body mount and get them manufactured.

Even better is I found an actuator through my supplier that can accept a yellow 0-10V control signal wire to control the valve’s open angle. So cross your fingers that 10nm will open these valves. This is were I may need the help of my engineering friends to make this user friendly. If we cant get them to do it sanitary, I can still source these valves in.

Tag me as very interested, I'm building a system with a raspberry pi backend.

Let me know!

Tag me as very interested, I'm building a system with a raspberry pi backend.

Let me know!

Back