Growler Art and Compatibility

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
I'm thinking about painting up my growler just for kicks. I've seen glass bottles painted before so I imagine this is just a big bottle.

But it kind of brings up a question about how compatible growlers are between companies. If I paint it up (make it unrecognizable) or just use somebody else's growler is there typically a problem at most places?

I've got an Acme one for now and I haven't filled up anywhere else - just curious if anyone's run into a problem (read about a new bar selling growlers for $10 and refilling for $20 - using a different growler would probably get noticed at a place with rather high pricing like that...).

And for those who care, maybe I'll fill it up with Hopslam at the local bar that's got it on tap and started doing growler fills. ;)

Different laws in different states. In many states, a brewery will fill up any container than can be sealed (including corny kegs you bring in), but in my state (and some others) the growler must be PERMANENTLY marked with the Brewery's name and address that manufactured the beer contained therein, so you have to have a different growler for every brewery. Check your local laws.

Oh wow there's a bit more to it than I even considered. Ohio seems to do pretty well with this type of stuff but when I eventually move on out it's probably going to be a culture shock.

Edit: Seems like you can bring anyone's growlers to anybody else in Ohio.

We fill growlers for 15 at my work. We will fill ones brought in. South east Virginia

Pa you can take other growlers in as many as you want. prices range from $10 some places to $20 others

MI, the rules seem to vary from one pub to the next. I can go to Founders and they fill any growler. Some places fill only their own, some places insist they put their sticker on it. I never know and have to ask. The prices are the same though, mug members are one price and non mug members are on average $2-$3 more.

Yes but in penna, I have noticed some brewery will only fill their own marked growlers and some don't care. Even if your state allows it, prob wanna call the berwery anyway.

Piratwolf said:
You at O'Connor? Smartmouth? Beach?

Taste unlimited. Owner invested in smartmouth. Have 2 of theirs on tap. One o'connor. And I think a weaping radish from NC. Started selling growlers right after smartmouth started cranking.

Back