Cut back on Beer because the belly is too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't eat bread, pasta, or starches. I get my bread from the beer ;-)

Eat a high protein diet, veggies, fruits, cheese, eggs, etc. Cut the bread and starches and you can have a few beers a day without packing on the pounds.

I lost 60 pounds when I did p90x last year. Just follow that diet, workout when you can, and good bye beer gut!

That's why I made an example of "good" & "bad" carbs. The protien diet book has lists that go into a lot of detail about good & bad carbs as relates to diet. But in a nutshell,3/4's of your plate shouldn't be carbs. Balance is needed. The whole idea being that protiens are more complex molecules that use a lot of carbs to break down. That's why the diet works. You need to raise your keytone usage While keeping your insulin level exeptable. I'd have to dig the book out to get more accurate.

I agree

I was just concerned that what happens in the mind is people hear "carbs bad" so they cut them all the way out then get "rabbit starved" as well as physical issues from cutting a necessary source of nutrition out because they think it is all the same.

Yup,but I agree with yooper on the fact that it's a wheat gut,not a beer gut. It seems making grain into beer is healthier for you in moderation than foods made more directly from grains. I lost some 140lbs on the protien diet a few years ago with my wife. We worked our way up to walking/jogging 6M per day. Regulars on the newer bike/walking path her in Sheffield off the far end of cascade park would say high,good morning,chit chat,etc as we became regulars. Boy,did that feel good. Folks seem happier when doing that kind of excersize. Then we started taking our short haired black lab Max with us. Boy did that dog have energy to burn.
Then my wife was in a really bad shunt. Only my "A's" in the living sciences helped her young docotrs save her. They were out of ideas,she was dying,they came to me. I'm the guy that keeps Mr dead in his pocket. And he damn sure wasn't getting out.
Anyway,I gained the weight back sitting with her after work & basically taking care of her. Now we're older & withbad joints,discs,pins in her leg,arthritis,etc we can't hardly walk let alone exercise. But that sob Mr dead is stayin in my pocket...
I'll have to go through the lists in my book. But green/yellow beans are good for one.

Ok,found the book,it's called "The Protien-Sparing Modified Fast Diet" By the department of nutritional therapy of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
Good carbs listed in book;
alfalfa sprouts 4oz raw
artichoke 1/2 medium or2.5oz raw or cooked
asparagus 5-6 spears raw or cooked
beans;greenyellow,waxed 1/2C canned,cooked,raw
bean sprouts 3/4C canned
broccoli 3.5ozcooked,or 1C raw
brussel sprouts 3 medium or 2oz cooked
green cabbage 1C shredded or raw,3.5oz cooked
carrots 1small raw, 1/2C cooked
cauliflower 1C raw or cooked
celery 3 stalks raw, or 3/4C chopped raw
cucumber 1 medium raw
eggplant 3.5oz or 1.2C cooked 1C raw
endive 30 leaves raw or cooked,or 3Cchpped,raw,cooked
escarole 4 large leaves raw or cooked
green pepper 1 large raw
greens 3.5 raw,1C cooked
lettuce 3.5oz or 3C chopped
mixed salad 3.5oz or 3C chopped
mushrooms 1.5C raw pieces,3/4C canned
onion 1/2 medium or 2oz raw,2oz or 1/3C cooked
pickles 2 large,4-6oz dill or kosher
radishes 10 medium 4.5oz raw or cooked
sauerkraut 1/2C or 3.5oz cooked
spinach 2.5C or 4.5oz raw 3/4C cooked
summer squash 1C raw or 3/4C cooked
tomato 1 small or 3.5oz raw,1/2C chopped raw,4oz canned & skinned
tomato sauce 1/4C all varieties
That's the "good carbs" listed in the book. Some stuff they say raw I cooked too with no adverse effects.

I don't eat bread, pasta, or starches. I get my bread from the beer ;-)

Eat a high protein diet, veggies, fruits, cheese, eggs, etc. Cut the bread and starches and you can have a few beers a day without packing on the pounds.

I lost 60 pounds when I did p90x last year. Just follow that diet, workout when you can, and good bye beer gut!

Right on! When I started homebrewing I went from 185-190 to 215 lb within 6 months because weekend drinking transitioned into 2-3 pints a night during the week. I totally cut out breads, pastas and other carbs so the beer could fill in those calories. I grow most of our food, so focus on veggies and salads most of the year and cut meat servings in half. Started swimming a mile x 4 nights a week as pay for the 2 beers afterward. Dropped 25 lb fairly quick. Dang wife would still make comments around friends that I drank beer every night of the week. She was surprised 6 months ago when I completely stopped drinking during the week. I make up for a lot of that on Fri night and sports Saturdays, but it's quite exciting to pour that first beer on Fri after none for 5 days.

Don't need to cut meat servings 50% & raise carbs a couple hundred. Split 16 ounces of protiens per day into 4/4oz portions. Veggies according to my list.

Don't need to cut meat servings 50% & raise carbs a couple hundred. Split 16 ounces of protiens per day into 4/4oz portions. Veggies according to my list.

This is a big one for a lot of people because we have been trained that "meat = meal" so people sit down and eat an 8-12oz steak or a 1/2lb burger with all the trimmings and think nothing of it.

The body digests meat differently and a lot slower than it does other foods.

Like I said before,protiens are more complex molecules that your body burns carbs to break down into useable forms. Phenylalinine,for instance,metabolizes incoming protiens into the collegen surrounding muscle fibers.
So,at dinner an 8oz steak (lean) with steamed veggies from the list is very good. The book limits condiments as well. Big fatburgers are out for dieting purposes. Splurging once in a while is ok,but you can't live on that stuff.

Interesting you say that, I went vegetarian for about 4 months this year and shed weight quickly. Now I am back on a limited meat diet sticking mainly to fish and chicken prepared specific way (never fried) and vegetable centric eating habits for most meals and snacks except dinner.

I still have a fatburger now and again, but my body hasn't been doing well with pork and cow meat for a while now so I limit it in a major way to maybe once a week or less.

I am quite opposite to some of the high protien eaters. In December I had my retirement physical from the Army and found out I was 15lb overweight and had LDL of 190! After talking to my Dad I found out it runs in the family. I was started on Lipitor. I used to eat whatever I wanted and also drank to excess. Now I am eating many whole grains and vegetables. Beans and salmon are top of my list too. It is hard for me to cut back on drinking but the Doc told me I have to drink in moderation for liver health. I have lost 5lb the last two weeks by concentrating on whole foods even if they are high in carbs and naturally cutting down on protien because of cholesterol.

Oh, and I brewed Bier munchers cenntenial blonde last weekend so I will be able to safely enjoy two beers when I want too.

Nightshade said:
Make meat a secondary to veggies.
Don't eat fruit after a meal, give an hour or so before eating fruits.
Nuts are an excellent snack and contain a lot of protein.
Don't overdo the protein as the human body only needs something like 6 grams a day of protein to remain healthy (Do some research on this)
Shop the outside aisles of the store, everything in the aisles is crap food so keep it limited.
Once a week break your diet, then go right back to it. Having a rigid diet schedule is mentally taxing and you will always fall off the wagon if you try.
Lower intake of processed grains in things like breads and such, it is easy and has far more flavor than white bread or heavily processed wheat breads and is easy to do as well.
Exercise regularly, get your heart rate up for 30 minutes a day minimum.
Drink lots of water, cut sugars such as adding it to coffee (my downfall).

Biggest thing is to track calories and figure your intake needed to make it through a day...not the RDA average but do some math by trial and error then stick to it. As wass mentioned myfitnesspal which is available on Iphone or Droid OS is an easy way to do a lot of this.

I agree with most of this and follow a lot of it. There are some great things in the center of the store but agree with the concept. Black beans and canned chicken ( when no time to cook the real stuff) are two I like.
As for calorie counting, I've been doing that religiously (except for the Dark Lord and BCS last weekend;)). Seriously though, I've been using a free iOS app called lose it. It's fantastic! It tracks exercise, calories, goals, and even has a scanner to scan commercial foods into it so you can easily track those. You can add foods and recipes into it as well.

A question for all of you now. What are some commercial beers that are low on calories but still taste like something? Heineken Light is something I can tolerate but am looking for some other suggestions. Homebrew is great, but after one or two I need something less taxing on the diet. I know I can make something like a cream ale but that's just not as fun. Recipes suggestions that fit this bill would be great top,
Thanks,

Pat

Just remember that most beer drinkers who are gaining weight are doing so because when people drink they tend to drink late at night and snack at the same time. Not good!

I only drink after dinner and am sure to drink lots of water between beer and sleeping.

The key is that calories are not burned off while you sleep and BAC slows down your metabolism! Sober up before you go to sleep if you drink too much and minimize getting drunk, know your limit! Works for me...I have ~8% body fat at age 34, I work outdoors often but do not have a gym schedule and I drink on average 3 beers every day!

Don't cut down on protiens just to cut cholesterol. Cut out ham & meats like that that are loaded with saturated fats. Lean protiens is what Cleveland Clinic dieticians taught me. Buffalo is a great example. Higher in protien than beef,very low bad fats & carbs. Wild salmon has omega 3's,while they found through testing that farm raised has just the opposite. Bad fats from all the highpro glow dog food the robots feed them. Dito on catfish. It's what they eat in the wild that gives them all those omega 3's.

I have let myself get to obese levels, and was even worse until my GF decided we needed to do something. Add to that the fact that we were going to take a flight to CA to meet her family and my 400lb butt had to loose weight just to get on the plane. (Mind you I was drinking a four or six pack a night plus eating what ever I wanted and wasn't brewing.) Once we got into the calorie counting, I swore one thing, I would never give up beer and would always pick beer over food. It actually helped because I refused to eat something bad in order to allow myself the pleasure of a good beer. I never weighed myself but I know I got "down" to 350ish, maybe less. The point is, I never will give up beer when I could just not eat the bread in a sandwich. That being said, alcohol is one of the worst things one can consume while trying to lose weight. Since it's technically a poison your metabolism freaks out and starts trying to get the alcohol out of your system. Thus slowing your metabolism. That's ok though, an imperial stout is worth it.

Give up sugar, soda, most breads and potatoes. Go find a fun physically demanding sport and give it 4 hours a week.

I've been cutting back for the sake of my general health. I don't have the body type to enjoy multiple beers a night... or I regret it the next day. Weight isn't really an issue, but feeling like an unproductive mess the next day is.

This has been a very interesting thread. I was wondering how people balanced consumption of good home brew with overall health. I can see that others have the same concerns I have.

My consumption rate has been going up since I started brewing my own. They are so delicious. I find myself trading desert or seconds at dinner so I can fit in another home brew. Maybe I have a problem...

you dont have a problem,you just see the real value of your efforts!
I dont drink sunday-thursday. I have 1-2 bombers on friday and 2-3 on saturday.
I think that hte key is keeping a healthy diet AND not drinking too many high OG beers. A hogh OG beer is going to have lots of residual sugars and make you fat.

Ok, some people in the last 11 pages of posts are saying cut out potatoes, bread, or carbs in general. I personally don't think I could live without those foods!! You can still enjoy those... just in moderation, basically most carbs/starch are a calorie dense food, example 7 oz rice is like 300+ calories (depending on which website you look at) at the same time that 300+calories in lets say broccoli that's like 10 cups! or 7 average size zucchini squash, which will fill you up more?? Another example 2 oz of pretzels (which is a homebrew staple at my home!!) is about 220 or so calories now those same calories could equal 2 cups of grapes+a 3" apple..... It's about the right choices.
Pretty much it's calories in and calories out (exercise)
Here's a way to figure out what's up with your diet, write down everything you eat for 3-4 days (be deligent about it) then if you can find out (internet/label) the calories for those foods, you'll be astonished on how many calories your consuming and how small the serving size is!! (servings per package) And how quickly it adds up. I try to make the right choices, I'm a runner/cyclist so watching what I eat is important to me... but at the same time I enjoy at least 2-4 12oz home brews a day.

I am trying to do drinking only on Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. I think that should help but I'm reaching the limit on my clothes. Going to need to cut back.

I just stopped eating breakfast and lunch. I supplement them with beer :)

Actually, I gained 35lbs while my wife was pregnant and breast feeding. Seems I forgot that just because she was burning a billion calories a day producing milk, I wasn't. Match that with my first year or not racing bikes since 1992 and I ballooned. Recently I've begun getting only slightly more active, walks, riding the bike on a stationary trainer while my daughter sleeps, and speed rope once or twice a week. I've also watched what I ate more. I focus on keeping the preservatives out and I've found that I naturally eat healthier leaner food just by keeping my eyes on that. But I have not cut back on the beer. I've lost 16lbs and have 9 more to go.

I have let myself get to obese levels...

I never weighed myself but I know I got "down" to 350ish, maybe less....

How does it feel to be 7 feet 7 inches tall?

I did a quick calculation and in order to only be considered "overweight" and not obese at 350 pounds, your height would have to be 7'7". My guess is either you are grossly overestimating you weight, don't really know what classifies you as "obese", or you are trolling.

Back in August, for various reasons, I started making an effort to loose weight. I did cut down on the amount of beer that I drank as well as the amount of food that I would eat. I did not make any drastic changes to my eating as I knew that I would fail if it was too restrictive. I did simple things like more veggies and fruit, and picking the 1/3 pound burger at the restaurant instead of the 1/2 pound burger. As for beer, it is maybe 1 durring the week and 2 or 3 on the weekend. Before I started loosing weight, it was more like 2-3 every other night with 4-5 on Saturday. Even now the weeks when the home brew club meets mean the beer intake is quite a bit higher, but that is only one night a month.

As of yesterday I was down 65.4 pounds from the 292 that I weighed when I started. I still have about 15 pounds more to go in order to only be "overweight" according to the CDC.

I gained 20kg when I stopped smoking a couple years ago and then hovered at around 92kg for a couple years. I went on Atkins (fatkins) after Christmas 2012 and have lost 6kg...the weight loss is slow because I am still drinking, just red wine and bourbon. I have had a homebrew on three occasions and usually pull about 4oz once a night. If I had just stopped drinking completely, I'd probably be back down to where I want to be weight wise....but nope lol

Yes. Drinking packs on the pounds. I'm currently on the second week of a 4 week teetotal. Together with lots of gym and a lot less food. The results are dramatic and rapid.

There's no other way folks... less calories in more calories out. The math is simple but the execution is torture.

So i read half of the posts and have one question, how do you guys decide its time to loose some lbs? im gaining a little bit of weight every year but feel i still have few years before i start actively exercise, diet ect, my bmi is 23.1 but was around 22 2-3 years ago and before that it was 20.5 for as long as i can remember, is it time for me to look for a gym?

If you feel like you need to shed some pounds then it is probably time. Other than that I would have to say ask a Dr. Personally I care less about the numbers and more about living a healthy lifestyle. Eat right and drink merrily.

Polboy said:
So i read half of the posts and have one question, how do you guys decide its time to loose some lbs? im gaining a little bit of weight every year but feel i still have few years before i start actively exercise, diet ect, my bmi is 23.1 but was around 22 2-3 years ago and before that it was 20.5 for as long as i can remember, is it time for me to look for a gym?

When you feel like crap or you don't like looking in the mirror anymore. Mine was a little of both.

Pat

I also use small shifter glasses for beer during the week. Same # of glasses, a lot less beer.

Latest posts

Back