Suggestions for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuu

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been wanting to brew an IPA as my next beer. SWMBO is not super into beer but strangely enough the few I've had her try and she liked a lot were the IPAs that had a lot of balance despite some really high IBUs (DFH 120, Hoptimum, and Jai Alai were the main ones). She loves passion fruit and I've heard galaxy has that character but I have never tried it.

So my question is, from those who have experience with Galaxy, how passion fruity is it? And everyone else with IPA experience, what are some suggestions for a recipe that highlights passion fruit notes.

Wow this is the longest I've had without a reply

Chuu said:
Hey guys. I've been wanting to brew an IPA as my next beer. SWMBO is not super into beer but strangely enough the few I've had her try and she liked a lot were the IPAs that had a lot of balance despite some really high IBUs (DFH 120, Hoptimum, and Jai Alai were the main ones). She loves passion fruit and I've heard galaxy has that character but I have never tried it.

So my question is, from those who have experience with Galaxy, how passion fruity is it? And everyone else with IPA experience, what are some suggestions for a recipe that highlights passion fruit notes.

Passion fruit you can get from citra by throwing in the last 10 mins. I have no experience with galaxy but have done all citra in a IPA and its amazing

What about the grain bill. Any specific malt that highlights the notes I'm looking for?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/citra-single-hop-ipa

Assuming you're an extract brewer...

My citra single hop IPA (currently featured on the front page of brew toad). IMO IPA's are all about showcasing hops, and the best way to do it is to just use one type in your entire brew. This one is a bit sweeter but has a nice bite to it. Also, unless you LOVE hop flavor i might cut the 0 min and dry hop addition in half. I'd do this esp. if you plan to add fruit.

If you REALLY want passionfruityness(not a word), rack onto 3-4 lbs of passion fruit flesh in the the secondary I guess. I've have excellent result with a mango addition in the secondary as well (4 lbs)

im actually an all grain brewer (new to it though).

I thought about using a galaxy only hop schedule, but I have seen awesome reviews about beers with a combo of citra and galaxy and im interested to try that.

Here is the tentative recipe for my brew:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 71.4 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.4 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 42.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 6.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 7.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 4.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 64.3 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.6 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs
Sparge Water: 4.34 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.50 qt of water at 166.2 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 4.34 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 3.81 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.81 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Yeah man I like the new hop schedule. Could even go 5 mins earlier on each addition. Galaxy and citra will make a really nice flavor pairing. Let's us know how it goes!

Any suggestions on a possibly better grain bill?

Like I said before. She actually liked the bitterness of some of these hop bombs so long as it had good malt character to balance a little. I like then idea of honey malt though. Anyone made an IPA with it? It sounds that that would be a cool flavor profile.

My best (according to my neighbors and brewing club) IPA was a little number I did with Centennial and Galaxy.

5 gallon batch

First Wort Hopped 30 IBU of Citra (90 minute boil) about .6ish oz
20 Minute Add: 26 IBU of Galaxy (@ 1 oz for a 5.5 gallon)
14 Minute Add: 17 IBU of Centennial (@ 1 oz)
Steeped 1 Oz of galaxy and 2 oz of Centennial for 30 minutes @180F

Dry Hopped with Centennial @ 2.5 OZ for 10 days.

I used
2 Row (82%)
C40 (6%)
Vienna (12%)

I think in your recipe, the Galaxy with the equal parts of Citra will add more complexity to flavor. Citra is IMHO pretty dominant. I would definitely take a taste of it.

I would however (again IMHO) to utilize two row versus the vienna/munich malt bill. Kind of unusual to have those 2 grains compromise such a large portion of the grist. I have tasted an all munich IPA and it was good, just different.

Id use 2 row as my base malt, a little less munich, increase the aroma steep to 2 total oz, and dryhop with 3 total oz.

other than that it looks pretty good.

Final recipe I modeled after Two Hearted with Golden Promise base, caravienne for color, and about 10% sucrose for dryness.

Went with more Galaxy than Citra for additions at 30-15-10-0 and 40 min hop stand at 180. 99 IBUs total. Dry hopped 1 oz galaxy and citra for 7 days and then 2 oz Galaxy in the keg.

Came out FANTASTIC

Citra! I just made my first beer with whirlpooled and dry-hopped Citra (an APA) and when I let my wife try it she emediately stole my glass and told me to "get your own glass!" 3 women have tried this beer already and they all say it has a "Mango/kiwi/papaya/passion fruit tropical fruit taste" Simply put this is the best chic beer I've ever made and unfortunately I love it to so it will dissappear fast!

Latest posts

Back