Internal Wiring Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbaucco

Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking to build a control panel using the diagram thats attached. My question is this... I'm no electrician, but, I'm good at following directions. What gauge wire is used within the box for each run? Like I said my electrical knowlege is slim and what I do know I've learned from watching other people. I understand each component of this system and what its used for but it's just the gauge of wire that confuses me. Thanks in advance.

Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30b2-pb-e-stop-2.jpg

Thanks PJ. Just one more question... Are terminal strips what is pictured that the main power line connects to and branches off from?

Yes. Terminal strips will make your wiring easier. Regarding the wire again, I suggest that you use stranded wire as it is a lot more flexible and easier to manage.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Any idea where I could get a good box/enclosure for this setup? I've looked around online and I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for...

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it. Any idea where I could get a good box/enclosure for this setup? I've looked around online and I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for...
I would get this Box for 1/16 DIN controller from Auber Instruments. Everything should fit in it. I'd also suggest that you get their External Mount Heat Sink for the SSR.

While we are at it - the temperature probe: Look at Liquid Tight RTD Weldless and check out the Deluxe cable option. That would make your set up a lot easier to accomplish.

Hope this helps.

P-J

How difficult would it be to have another temp sensor added to this setup? The reason I ask is I plan on using this in a HERMS system and I'd like to be able to keep an eye on the temp of the circulating wort as well as control the temp on the HLT. I'm only looking for a reading of the temp and not a PID to control it. For example if I wanted to wire this: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14. How would I go about adding this to the wiring diagram above?

How difficult would it be to have another temp sensor added to this setup? The reason I ask is I plan on using this in a HERMS system and I'd like to be able to keep an eye on the temp of the circulating wort as well as control the temp on the HLT. I'm only looking for a reading of the temp and not a PID to control it. For example if I wanted to wire this: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=14. How would I go about adding this to the wiring diagram above?
I spent a little time adding the PID to the diagram. I hope this helps you.

As always - Click on the image to see a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Wishing you the best.

P-J

Would this diagram use 3 of the RTD probes (one each for HLT, MT, and BK) and how would the third be wired? I only see two referenced on the diagram. I like the idea of being able to monitor the mash temp.

Also, would the additions fit into the same project box that is referenced earlier in this thread?

The Auber project box listed is pretty small to handle 2 PIDs, 2 SSR's, and 2 contactors, and the associated wiring and receptacles. I would suggest a box about 12"x16"x8".

Would this diagram use 3 of the RTD probes (one each for HLT, MT, and BK) and how would the third be wired? I only see two referenced on the diagram. I like the idea of being able to monitor the mash temp.

Also, would the additions fit into the same project box that is referenced earlier in this thread?
It is set up for 2 RTD probes. You would normally never need a probe in the BK as the boil would be controlled in manual mode. BTW: setting up switches to swap 2 RTD probes becomes rather complex.

I believe it will all fit in the project box with careful planning.

P-J

The Auber project box listed is pretty small to handle 2 PIDs, 2 SSR's, and 2 contactors, and the associated wiring and receptacles. I would suggest a box about 12"x16"x8".
I totally agree. However there are no contactors in the wiring plan.

I think it will fit with some careful planning.

Back