Newby Foamy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATPorter

Reaction score
I have foamy beer! Have changed things according to forum posts. Short, clean, new line. Seems the only way I can get "not foamy" is hardly any carbonation or, ok carbonation (less than I would like) with about 2lbs of serving pressure and a trickle of beer coming out.

Any other suggestions? Could the cheapo tapper on the side of my fridge be causing this?

Please help. I have beer to drink!

I would for sure check you faucet for any obstruction in the flow path. Also watch the hose right at the connection to the keg. If it is foamy there as you pull a beer it may be that the keg connection has an issue. I found one recently who's fluid outlet had not been drilled perfectly, it had plastic left in the flow path which was causing horrible foaming in my glass. Drilled it out and it's PERFECT now!
Cheers and good luck.

pfgonzo said:
What temp are you serving at?

Also you said "short clean new line." I assume you mean the beer line? It might be too short. What length are you using?

Yea, the beer line. It was way too long with a loop and though might the problem so I shortened it. It is now about 2 feet long. Will check the temp. Fairly cold. Guessing 36°.

Actually, you need longer beer lines. Usually at least 5-6' long. Some use 10' lines. If you want shorter lines, some people use bayonettes from McMasterCarr.

Two feet? Your line was probably NOT way too short. You NEED a long line to balance serving pressure. The short lines are probably causing your foaming because the resistance provided by the lines isn't enough to balance the serving pressure, leading to foamy beer. There's a lot of good information in the bottling/kegging forum if you want to check it out. How much line do you have left? I use around 6'-7' of line for my system serving at 12psi, but you need to balance everything for your system.

Two feet? Your line was probably NOT way too short. You NEED a long line to balance serving pressure. The short lines are probably causing your foaming because the resistance provided by the lines isn't enough to balance the serving pressure, leading to foamy beer. There's a lot of good information in the bottling/kegging forum if you want to check it out. How much line do you have left? I use around 6'-7' of line for my system serving at 12psi, but you need to balance everything for your system.

Bingo. +1

The two foot line is what I suspected from your original post. Try serving with a longer line and see if that fixes things.

On picnic taps I use five feet and about 4 lb of pressure. On keggerator I use ten feet and 11 pounds of pressure. Your system may and most likely will be a little different but those kind of numbers should at least get you in the ball park.

daksin said:

Ok will fix it tomorrow! I must have misread it on another thread. What size line is best as far as diameter? I have 1/4 inch inner diameter.

I run 10 feet of 3/16 ID line at a serving pressure of 13-14 psi and get perfect carbonation and pour. More line = less foam.

Problem solved! 10ft of 3/16" and the foam is gone.

Thanks to all for your help!!!!

Latest posts

Back