Who else scored the cheap 7cf GE from HomeDepot/Walmart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I know a lot of you got the 7cf GE freezer from home depot or Walmart over the last few weeks. Mine is coming in a week or 2 and I am impersed in researching what I need to do to make a keezer. Since there are probably a lot of folks out there at the same point, we should start a thread to discuss designs, equipment types/deals etc.

Anybody?

I am one who is still on the fence with buying this freezer. Saw a 7 ft. Holiday, with a dent, in Lowes for $129. Anybody have any experience with Holiday.

OK, I know a lot of you got the 7cf GE freezer from home depot or Walmart over the last few weeks. Mine is coming in a week or 2 and I am impersed in researching what I need to do to make a keezer. Since there are probably a lot of folks out there at the same point, we should start a thread to discuss designs, equipment types/deals etc.

Anybody?

There are a bunch of existing thread builds on this model in the DIY area. Here's a few:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/knotty-pine-cedar-log-keezer-build-223902/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bbentleys-keezer-build-271020/

I think this might be the same model: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-keezer-build-286204/

This one is the same model: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ge-7-cf-fcm7suww-keezer-conversion-192208/

and this is the mother of all threads taking about kegelators (.sp?) in general, with plenty of links to particular builds:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/

I am getting the same freezer ($159 deal), supposed to be delivered Monday so I am in interested in anything you come up with in addition to what I just posted, or in general how you do your build.

I am one who is still on the fence with buying this freezer. Saw a 7 ft. Holiday, with a dent, in Lowes for $129. Anybody have any experience with Holiday.

From what I understand, the holiday and GE are the same freezer. Look exactly the same on the inside. Compared the GE 5.0 at Sam's Club and the Holiday at Lowes and couldn't spot a difference. I picked up the 5.0 Holiday at for $135 (family members employee discount) so I couldn't pass that up. Just got my 2 keg setup from kegconnection the other day. Can't wait to start building it up. Also glad to say I'm gonna be done bottling :mug:

So far I know I am getting a reg from birdman brewing. My buddy picked one up and it seems to be nice and it was cheaper than anywhere else I saw. I was thinking of going to my LHBS to buy a reconditioned ball lock keg tomorrow. I think i can get them there right at $50 (obviously no shipping on top of that). I am going ball lock so I can increase my chances of getting 4 kegs in.

Let me know how the kegs from kegconnection turn out.

My friend has had the holiday freezer in his garage for probably 2 years or more and it runs good (although he has food in his...freaking loser).

I bought it and made a keezer out of it. 4 kegs on the floor, I just have to put them in carefully. Built my collar out of 2x10 so I have room for another keg on the hump if I need to. :D

(First post and I used the word "hump", does not bode well for my future)

I have the Lowes Holiday. I cannot get 4 kegs all on the floor. The 4th one will go in far enough to shut the lid if pushed, but I can't get it within four inches of the floor. A little work with a hammer in the right places would probably change that. It is ever so close. I haven't started my Keezer project yet.

I have my GE 7cf freezer being delivered on the 27th. WOOHOO! Keezer build will commence that week! That is, if I have everything else in. I have my faucets and all that that were just delivered earlier this week. Just waiting on my ebay temp controller and the freezer itself!

I have my GE 7cf freezer being delivered on the 27th. WOOHOO! Keezer build will commence that week! That is, if I have everything else in. I have my faucets and all that that were just delivered earlier this week. Just waiting on my ebay temp controller and the freezer itself!

Two questions:
1) Where did you source the faucets and shanks from, what kind, what cost, etc?
2) Are you going to collar mount the ebay temp controller (STC-1000)? I would like to do this but am worried about condensation and/or whether I have to insulate around it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I am curious about the hardware sources as well.

I am planning on doing something similar to one of the links given above with a 1x10 on the inside and a 1x12 on the outside. One of my questions is if I will need to push some air around because of the height extension of the top. Or should I just put the collar on and call it good?

Just bought the Johnson controls digital temp controller from Amazon for $68. Kinda pricey but still cheaper than my LHBS even with shipping. Plus all they had was the analog version. I wanted the digital so I can use the controls to prevent the compressor from cycling. I don't know if that is a problem with the GE freezer I have but just in case I am now covered.

copyright1997 said:
Two questions:
1) Where did you source the faucets and shanks from, what kind, what cost, etc?
2) Are you going to collar mount the ebay temp controller (STC-1000)? I would like to do this but am worried about condensation and/or whether I have to insulate around it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sorry, just saw this. I bought my faucets and shanks from the beverage factory. They had perlicks on sale with a shank combo. I think like $45 for both the 525ss perlick and a 4 1/2" shank. As for the controller, I haven't decided whether im mounting that in the collar, or what. Im building a box for it so need to figure out how to incorporate it into the build.

I bought it and made a keezer out of it. 4 kegs on the floor, I just have to put them in carefully. Built my collar out of 2x10 so I have room for another keg on the hump if I need to. :D

(First post and I used the word "hump", does not bode well for my future)

Are your kegs fitting really tightly? I have 4 ball locks and I really have to wedge the 4th one in there. Right now, it's so tight the 4th one is a few inches off the floor. I don't want to cram it. I read somewhere else that recent models of this freezer are 1" narrower than they previously were.

If the new model was 1" narrower than the old model you wouldn't be getting a 4th one in there at all, lol. On mine I took a rubber mallet to the hump to make room. It is just bowed out insulation under a thin metal sheet. A couple whacks with a hammer to straighten it out won't hurt anything. :p

The thread for my build is in my signature. Nothing special about it but it is a handy reference if nothing else.

Latest posts

Back