IPA Lacking Body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBQnBrew

Reaction score
I made my first batch of IPA (and first ever batch of brew), did 6 days in primary, 3 weeks in secondary, and has been bottled for 2 week now. Tried my first one last night, sorry couldn't wait 3 weeks. Anyway, it had good bitter, but was lacking what my wife and I both thought was body, sort of seemed "watery". Will leaving it bottled for more time help it to develop "body". I'm ready to start my next batch, which will probably be a Pale Ale, maybe Summer Ale, but want to know what went wrong with the first. THanks in advance.

I made my first batch of IPA (and first ever batch of brew), did 6 days in primary, 3 weeks in secondary, and has been bottled for 2 week now. Tried my first one last night, sorry couldn't wait 3 weeks. Anyway, it had good bitter, but was lacking what my wife and I both thought was body, sort of seemed "watery". Will leaving it bottled for more time help it to develop "body". I'm ready to start my next batch, which will probably be a Pale Ale, maybe Summer Ale, but want to know what went wrong with the first. THanks in advance.

Could just need more time. What was the recipe?

Recipe:
3.75 lbs Cooper s IPS malt extract
2 lbs unhopped extract
1 tsp water salts
1 oz hops 3/4 cup corn sugar
1 pkg yeast
1 pkg bru vigor

Recipe:
3.75 lbs Cooper s IPS malt extract
2 lbs unhopped extract
1 tsp water salts
1 oz hops 3/4 cup corn sugar
1 pkg yeast
1 pkg bru vigor

Next time, try a different recipe. Coopers kits just aren't as good for making a brew similar to a craft beer. They will be drinkable, but not as good.

Maybe try a kit from Austinhomebrew.com if you want to stick to kits, or even a Brewer's Best kit (not as good, but readily available). Quality kits have some specialty grains and hops to add at different times, along with fresher (not canned) extract.

I like the looks of this one: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...=1124&osCsid=d13d34dcf3bc18dbb6d11696a7c061ed
You can do an extract batch, and they have great instructions!

Birvine: I used 2 gals water, it still only produced 48 bottles, so I guess it was lake of crystal malt?

Yooper: that is great info on Coopers, and I have been looking @ all the kits on Austin Brew's site, spent about 4 hrs @ work the other day lokking @ all their kits. A friend and I will be ordering about 4 kits next week to save on shipping. Where are u wintering

Wow, what a great web site ya'll have here, makes a newbie feel more confidant knowing experts are just an email away. And sorry it takes me so long to reply, the wife confiscated the computer so doing this from my phone.

The first thing that came to my mind was your water. Are you using Reverse Osmosis water, Filtered Water or Tap water? IPA's need minerals. But adding some crystal malt will defiately help as well. Happy brewing and congrats on making your first batch :)

I just started a batch of Munton's IPA this morning before reading this thread. My recipe is pretty much the same so it will be interesting to see how they compare. BTW, BBQnBrew, are you buying your kits in Houston?

Eric is saying that IPA needs minerals, so wouldn't you want a non filtered water source like well water?

Defalco's is who I've been buying from since I starte 2 batches ago. All I can say is I'm hooked, not just got to build the knowledge base.

I second Jason's response to the minerals question. Jason have u checked out AustinHomeBrew.com? Lots of kits available, $100 purchase free shipping. I like Defalcos, but do they have the same commercial beer kits, ie Real Ale IPA. Where is Danbury?

Eric is saying that IPA needs minerals, so wouldn't you want a non filtered water source like well water?

Defalco's is who I've been buying from since I starte 2 batches ago. All I can say is I'm hooked, not just got to build the knowledge base.

Unless you use an RO unit your not going to remove all the minerals. The sediment/carbon filter removes things that taste bad.

I second Jason's response to the minerals question. Jason have u checked out AustinHomeBrew.com? Lots of kits available, $100 purchase free shipping. I like Defalcos, but do they have the same commercial beer kits, ie Real Ale IPA. Where is Danbury?

NO I hadn't tried Austinhomebrew. There is another place out near clear lake too.

Danbury is south of houston, near Angleton/Alvin.

The only place in the Houston Metro is DeFalcos as far as I can tell. Heck I wish there were a store in far north or nw houston

Clonefarmer, the IPA doesn't taste bad just kind of thin or watery, would that be lack of crystal malt or the water issue?

BBQnBrew, check bottom of back page of instructions it explains impact of crystal malt.

Place in Clear Lake is like BS Brewers Guild or something.

BBQnBrew, check bottom of back page of instructions it explains impact of crystal malt.

Place in Clear Lake is like BS Brewers Guild or something.

B&S is in Seabrook. They sell their own kits that include grains for steeping. They move quite a bit of product so the extract stays pretty fresh. I used their kits couple of times before going AG. Made some really good beer.

I beieve de Falcos does this too but I haven't checked.

Really? Brew It Yourself, are they good? That's a lot closer to me in Tomball

Those extract kits looked like they need some steeping grains, and to leave out the burton salts. The price is pretty good though.

For the IPA kit, I would add .75lb. of C-60 and roll with it.

I will second Yooper's input and suggest that you purchase better quality kits. You will be amazed at the difference in your brews. Also understand that there are MANY levels of this hobby, so you will get a lot of info that while accurate, might be a little in depth for where you are at. If your water tastes good, brew with it. If it is a municipal water supply then you need to treat for chlorine but if its well water and you drink it normally you are fine. There are a TON of things to get down process and experience wise before you start worrying about water adjustments.

After reading post after post by folks like Yooper and Revvy, I quit using a secondary and just primary for 3-4 weeks. My brews come out cleaner and better conditioned by allowing the yeast time to clean up the residuals of active fermentation.

I started brewing extract about a year ago and very quickly progressed to partial mash (check out DeathBrewer's PM thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/) then all grain and saw massive gains in flavor and body with each step. Body issues have a lot to do with the level of fermentables in the wort. Adding sugar to a brew will thin and dry it out. If you progress to PM or AG you will have a lot more control over body but good extract kits will give you better results than Coopers. Fresh is always best.

One of the best suggestions I can make is to lock down your sanitization (Star San rocks) and work on your process. Read, read, read, and ask questions. As a fellow Texas brewer temperature control will be really important. It is almost impossible to keep fermentations in the upper 60's/ lower 70's during our hot months (ya know, March through November :D). There is a ton of info on this site and a ton of wonderful people ready to help you out. Fel free to PM me if you need any help and...

Welcome to your new obsession :mug:

Wow, great post! I did notice that I have absolutely no sediment in bottles, where as my friends' brews always did

I was just telling my wife I need to bottle and keg as much beer as I can between now and april cause after that the temperature will become and issue.

Interesting post about just using primary, going to have to do some research on that one. Would certainly make things easier and less risky for contamination.

If your water tastes good, brew with it. If it is a municipal water supply then you need to treat for chlorine but if its well water and you drink it normally you are fine.
That's what I thought, until I started to filter the water. Taste a glass of your water filtered and unfiltered. I bet you'll be amazed by the difference. Don't underestimate the importance of water quality.

That's what I thought, until I started to filter the water. Taste a glass of your water filtered and unfiltered. I bet you'll be amazed by the difference. Don't underestimate the importance of water quality.

Don't get me wrong, I think water is VERY important. If your water is decent, I just think there are a lot of things a new brewer should attend to FIRST. Get your process down, get good sanitary practices down, get some experience, read and educate yourself on what factors influence what, THEN start fiddling with water. If you have chlorinated city water or really crappy tasting water, then you have to address it right away. I have pretty good Texas Hill Country well water. It is really hard but really tasty. I am sure my lighter brews would benefit a lot from water treatment and it is next on my list. But before that I read everything I could get my hands on--Papazian, Palmer, Miller, Designing Great Beers, Brew Like a Monk, Yeast, BYO, Zymurgy, HBT thread after HBT thread--and worked on progressing as I acquired more knowledge and equipment. Extract to partial mash to all grain to yeast washing to temperature control, etc.

Learning to brew is a process that takes time...you can't learn it all at once and some things you just have to do to learn.

Don't get me wrong, I think water is VERY important. If your water is decent, I just think there are a lot of things a new brewer should attend to FIRST. Get your process down, get good sanitary practices down, get some experience, read and educate yourself on what factors influence what, THEN start fiddling with water.
I'm not talking about altering the water or fiddling with it. Only filtering it with a basic sediment/carbon filter to remove organics, solids and chlorine. Fresh clean water is one of the most important ingredients. You wouldn't tell someone to brew with yeast, hops or malt that was just decent would you?

I'm not talking about altering the water or fiddling with it. Only filtering it with a basic sediment/carbon filter to remove organics, solids and chlorine. Fresh clean water is one of the most important ingredients. You wouldn't tell someone to brew with yeast, hops or malt that was just decent would you?

You are absolutely correct...did not realize you were just talking about basic filtration. I see a lot of people respond to new brewers concerns by telling them to start by getting a water analysis and learning all about water chemistry and how to modify water effectively scaring the noobs away by making homebrewing into rocket science :drunk:

OP, filter your water :rockin:

Birvine: I used 2 gals water, it still only produced 48 bottles, so I guess it was lake of crystal malt?

Yooper: that is great info on Coopers, and I have been looking @ all the kits on Austin Brew's site, spent about 4 hrs @ work the other day lokking @ all their kits. A friend and I will be ordering about 4 kits next week to save on shipping. Where are u wintering

Wow, what a great web site ya'll have here, makes a newbie feel more confidant knowing experts are just an email away. And sorry it takes me so long to reply, the wife confiscated the computer so doing this from my phone.

I'm near Rockport. I brought two kegs with me, so I'm ok so far! Actually HEB has a really good selection of beer (I was surprised) so I'm mixing it up with homebrew and good craft beers.

I'm near Rockport. I brought two kegs with me, so I'm ok so far! Actually HEB has a really good selection of beer (I was surprised) so I'm mixing it up with homebrew and good craft beers.

Yooper's in Tejas? If you make it to the San Anton, San Marcos area let me know and I will give you the lowdown!!! You get outta the UP and we get an arctic front...that can't be coincidence...you brought it didn't you :D

How's the fishing? HEb does have decent selection, but you need to get to Houston and go to a Specs Liquor, they have an incedible selection, and run weekly specials on commercial microbrews, ie all Brooklyn Brewers beers were on sale for $6, normally $9, didn't xheck this wk because I have my own, daughter named it Smiley Face Brewers

How's the fishing? HEb does have decent selection, but you need to get to Houston and go to a Specs Liquor, they have an incedible selection, and run weekly specials on commercial microbrews, ie all Brooklyn Brewers beers were on sale for $6, normally $9, didn't xheck this wk because I have my own, daughter named it Smiley Face Brewers

The fishing sucks at the moment- in case you didn't notice it's been 20-30 degrees every night since Tuesday! :D Our house was a balmy 45 degrees yesterday morning. I already posted somewhere else that I'm glad I brought my summer weight long johns, as I've been wearing them.

I drove 1700 miles to get here- I'm not going back to Houston until I'm on my way home! I doubt I'll make it over to San Antonio this trip, because once it warms up a bit we're going to be spending all of our time in our kayaks and/or on the water. Today we're going to Port Aranasas for a Super Bowl party with friends we know from up north. But, next year, I will take all HBTers invites and travel a bit to drink good homebrew.

We're going to be leaving here on March 7. Anyway, sorry to steal your thread with talk of being a Winter Texan.

Specs is a very dangerous place.:p

The last time my buddy and I went to the big one in Clear Lake he spent almost $200 on just two beers. (Sink the Bismark and Tactical Nuclear Penguin)

Yooper,
I used to live in Port Aransas. Let me know if you need any restaurant tips.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the tips.

I'll check into texaskayakfisherman.com! I got a couple of redfish on Monday right off of our pier (and some speckled trout) but that was before the weather turned cold.

I don't know where Seadrift is (I can look it up of course) but thanks for the offer!

Back