Not complaining BUT . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dunno why this got locked
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22639

didnt seem heated, seemed well thought out and intelegent and dont know if it fell into the old aidng a minor brew thing . . .

but hey just me and yes in WI age dont matter if you get it from your parents 20 days old, 20 years old if Mom gives it to ya your're good to go

lock at will, I'm not trying to stir things up

I locked it because it would have gone nasty. It always does. It's our policy to shut them even if they aren't out of control.

No politics.

And also, underage is the key factor here. You shouldn't be posting on a beer/wine brewing forum if you aren't of age. Period.

I thought about locking it last night but didn't. I should have.

I know the topic at hand was underage (21) drinking/brewing, but the discussion was about the law as well. How many poeple on here brew more than their yearly allotment?

skeeordye11 said:
I know the topic at hand was underage (21) drinking/brewing, but the discussion was about the law as well. How many poeple on here brew more than their yearly allotment?

Touché, sir. Of course, keeping track of the amount of beer you make isn't quite as straightforward as clearing being underage.

We've also had discussions about adding certain currently illegal mind-altering substances to beer. Everything is for information purposes only, anyway.

Yeah, give the guy/kid credit for asking and trying to be informed. If he really wanted, he could have just never admitted to being underage and continued brewing. We simply tell him that it is illegal, and that's it. It's not our job or the moderators, (i think), to act as police on this website.
Just my 2 cents.

desiderata said:
Yeah, give the guy/kid credit for asking and trying to be informed. If he really wanted, he could have just never admitted to being underage and continued brewing. We simply tell him that it is illegal, and that's it. It's not our job or the moderators, (i think), to act as police on this website.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm not giving anyone underage any credit for coming on a homebrew forum. Yeah, let's teach a kid to brew cheap cider to get smashed and maybe tear up my neighborhood or get in a car. :rolleyes: I'm not having any part of that.

Let's also refresh some things....

You agreed to this statement when you signed up on this forum:

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of Home Brew Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

YOU MUST BE OF LEGAL AGE TO PRODUCE HOME BREW TO REGISTER AND READ THIS FORUM.

Pay close attention to the "violative of any laws" statement, and specifically the last statement that you read before you gain user access here.
FWIW, I did not make that last statement bigger or bold, it already was.

Underage poeple have no right to be here, period.

Is that new? I don't remember that disclaimer....

In any case, I think we're all in violation of the

you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented,

bit. Anyone who has NOT posted messages that are obscene, vulgar, and/or sexually-oriented - GET WORKING ON IT!

the_bird said:
Is that new? I don't remember that disclaimer....

In any case, I think we're all in violation of the

bit. Anyone who has NOT posted messages that are obscene, vulgar, and/or sexually-oriented - GET WORKING ON IT!

Well, that forum is an exception to the rule, obviously. Not to split hairs (and I know you are kidding, bird), but looking at boobs vs. assisting in the intoxication of a minor are 2 very different issues.

I'm in total agreement - I'm usually the first one in to make a crack at some kid's age, just so that everyone is at least aware of the circumstances. I've tried to never knowingly give advice of any substance to anyone under 21, even though I do have mixed feelings about it personally (nice when they seem respectful and intelligent towards beer, but....)

Dude said:
I'm not giving anyone underage any credit for coming on a homebrew forum. Yeah, let's teach a kid to brew cheap cider to get smashed and maybe tear up my neighborhood or get in a car. :rolleyes: I'm not having any part of that.

Let's also refresh some things....

You agreed to this statement when you signed up on this forum:

Pay close attention to the "violative of any laws" statement, and specifically the last statement that you read before you gain user access here.
FWIW, I did not make that last statement bigger or bold, it already was.

Underage poeple have no right to be here, period.

If i recall, he was trying to find out if in his state he was of legal age. Maybe the disclaimer needs to be more specific (i.e. 21 yrs)?
I'm just saying, don't rip the guy for asking, but instead suggest that the members don't encourage him.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off but nobody actually answered my question. A few people posted there opinions on what they think the law is but they didn't cite a source (Charlie Papazian doesn't count). The fact is that possession laws are not black and white, there are gray areas.
I will shut up now before someone opens a **** storm up on me for not dropping the subject.

AlecMoody said:
I'm not trying to piss anyone off but nobody actually answered my question. A few people posted there opinions on what they think the law is but they didn't cite a source (Charlie Papazian doesn't count). The fact is that possession laws are not black and white, there are gray areas.
I will shut up now before someone opens a **** storm up on me for not dropping the subject.

I'm pretty sure the legal age to brew, posess or drink alcohol in the United States is 21.

If you really need us to answer that question for you, maybe you should go back to the nintendo forum. ;)

That is exactly the problem. You are legal age and don't give a **** If it is legal or not for me to brew. You assume its not becuase the law doesn't affect you. I am not trying to make this personal (though it seems you are).

AlecMoody said:
That is exactly the problem. You are legal age and don't give a **** If it is legal or not for me to brew. You assume its not becuase the law doesn't affect you. I am not trying to make this personal (though it seems you are).

Eleven years ago, when I was UNDERAGE, if a cop found me with a beer in my hand, I was getting ticketed.

Nothing's changed in the past eleven years to change that.

Did I ever buy beer when I was a kid? Nope.

Did I break the law by drinking? Of course, no question about it.

Now, can you buy beermaking equipment and ingredients? Generally, yes. I've seen one website that asks for age verification, none of the others do, and I don't believe there is anything illegal about buying yeast, malt and hops.

But, possession of alcohol is a different matter. I didn't think it was ever a question - you can't buy, and you can't possess. I don't feel the need to spend hours googling for the particular statute that specifically addresses this issue.

I think no-one really knows and I would imagine that if you are caught in possesion you will be in trouble. I guess there is a possiblity you could win a court battle if you had a good lawyer and were within the law but regardless if you get caught you will get in "trouble". And if anyone else drinks it who is underage... thats pretty clear. And if you are within the law will a cop who finds you drinking know that?

AlecMoody said:

Come back in 2 years, and I'll be more civil. See ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back