Priming sugar amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReeseAllen

Reaction score
I normally buy a packet of sugar from my LHBS which is measured out to be the proper amount for a 5-gallon brew. Due to a mistake on my part I do not have the packet I bought for this batch anymore, but I have the time and energy to bottle tonight. I'm bottling what I am estimating will be 4 gallons of IPA when the hops and trub are subtracted.

I know this is a really basic question, but I looked at the wiki and found nothing, and also couldn't find a thread about it.

How much ordinary granular baking sugar do I need to add? Weight or volume, I can measure either.

For what it's worth, I'd rather have it come out too carbonated than not enough. But at the same time, I'm using cleaned-out New Belgium bottles that aren't intended to be reused, although they seem sturdy. I don't want bombs but I don't want flat beer when I pop open the first bottle in two weeks.

The rule of thumb is 1 oz (weight) of corn sugar per gallon. Regular sugar I have never used. But most all the kits I sell in my store use 5 oz (weight) packs per 5 gallons.
good luck, stir it in well without adding O2
Cheers
Jay

What temperature was it fermented at or is it sitting at, the warmer of the two please.
It's 68 F now. Fermentation temp ranged from 64 to 69 depending on the house temperature.
The rule of thumb is 1 oz (weight) of corn sugar per gallon. Regular sugar I have never used. But most all the kits I sell in my store use 5 oz (weight) packs per 5 gallons.
good luck, stir it in well without adding O2
Cheers
Jay
So according to this metric, 4 oz of corn sugar. But this is table sugar, it's slightly different...
I don't know how many volumes of CO2 I'm aiming for here. Using the default number it gives me for IPA, it suggests only 2.1 oz of table sugar. Corn sugar isn't THAT different from table sugar. This calculator suggests I should be putting in half as much sugar as Jaybird suggests.

Apparently this is not as straightforward as I had expected! Glad I posted a thread.

...and suddenly my thread has crickets chirping. I'm thinking I'll toss 4 oz of sugar in there and call it good.

3.5 oz of table sugar is in the beer. Bottling commences soon, gonna let the bottling bucket settle for a half hour.

Back