Who makes Limoncello?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
My girlfriend's parents make Limoncello from lemons they grow. The new batch is ready near the end of November.

Their method is to skin a ton of lemons. Soak them in Everlcear or similar grain alcohol for a few weeks until it turns a bright yellow. Then cut it with an equal amount of simple syrup. Add more lemon juice to taste. Let this age for at least a month. Damn this stuff is good, but DEFINATELY drunk in small quantities!

For those of you not familiar with it, Limoncello is a lemon flavored liquor. it is commonly used as a digestif. Translated, that means another reason to drink an alcoholic beverage. My girlfriend's family is very Italian. Her mother was actually born in Italy. Beer before dinner, wine with dinner, Limoncello after dinner and your drink of choice for the rest of the night.

I made limoncello, and a basil liqueur with the same method. Turned out great, and what a color! I'll post a step-by-step this weekend.

My GF's parent's method is pretty much outlined above. Its not really brewing, just flavoring some otherwise useless (except at frat parties) form of alcohol.

They tried a version a few years back with vodka. It didn't turn out as good. The everclear extracts the color and flavor much better than vodka. My girlfriend's mom's boss at International Gourmet Foods Inc (an Italian food importer in the southeast) said it is spot on to the stuff he is used to in Italy.

Here is their method (as far as I can tell)

Skin about 10 lemons. The fresher the better. Only get the zest layer. Pith will only impart an unpleasant flavor.
soak the skins in a handle of everclear for a month, or until the alcohol is a bright yellow (resembles pee).
Make a simple syrup equal to the amout of everclear you have
Mix equal amounts of simple syrup and everclear soaked in lemon peels.
age for at leeat a month add lemon juice to taste
Bottle in whatever fashion you see fit. (crown capping is not necessary since the alcohol % is so high and you won't be carbonating)

My impression is very lemony (of course). Since its cut with simple syrup, its pretty sweet and thick. It has a huge alcohol kick in the finish. I usually keep it in the freezer to minimize the kick. I drink it out of a small "shot glass" style cup small sips at a time. Like I said, its potent stuff!

I'd love to hear what her recipe is. A *ton* of lemons isn't very specific. :)

I made some limoncello once and it was AWESOME! I didn't use everclear so when I cut it with syrup and put it in the freezer, it turned into a "slushy". It doesn't require too much work and I highly recommend trying. Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
  • 7 Lemons
  • 750mL of 100 proof (50%ABV) vodka - (could get away with 40%)
  • 2 cups of sugar
  • 2 cups of water (if using 40%ABV vodka, try 1 and 3/4 cup)
Directions:
  1. Wash lemons with hot water and vegatable brush to remove pesticides or wax. Dry.
  2. Zest the lemons with a zester. I used a vegetable peeler, then scraped the white pith from the zest with a knife which is easier to do if you cut big peices of zest off with the vegetable peeler.
  3. In a glass jar (I used a big mason jar), add 375mL of the vodka and lemon zest. Let this rest for a painfully long 40 days. No stirring needed, keep the container sealed.
  4. After 40 days, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan. Heat and constantly stir until all the sugar is dissolved and the water is clear. Allow it to cool to room temp.
  5. Get a larger glass container (I used a 1 gallon carboy and my 8" brewing funnel for this step). Pour in the aged 375mL of vodka and lemon zest, add the sugar solution you just made, and don't forget to add the remaining 375mL of vodka. Seal the container (i used plastic wrap)
  6. Let this combined solution rest for another 40 days. It sucks if you're impatient like me, but it's worth it!
  7. After 40 days, strain/remove the lemon zest. Bottle up the limoncello in some old liquor bottles, freeze, and see how long it lasts :D

Back