Apple wine is it ok ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Have done a two gallon batch of apple wine when I racked it off I split it in to two one gallon demi johns with the intent when I rack it off next to recombine them I have just got them out to do this and noticed that one is darker in colour and seems to have a white scum round the edges on the surface is this normal ? Am I ok to recombine them ? I am planning on adding some oak chips because it is very alcohol flavoured you taste the alcohol and then a little apple after is this ok to add now ?

image-2400960026.jpg

image-1017496173.jpg

This is them in the photo of the two it's the one on the left I am concerned about.

There looks to be a lot of headspace in those jugs. Once fermentation slows down, after about 5-7 days in primary, you want to make sure it's always topped up to avoid any chance of mold or bacteria taking hold plus to avoid oxygenation. A darkening color could just be the wine clearing, or it could be the beginning of oxidation.

I can't tell from the picture, unfortunately. But "white scum" sounds really bad. It probably came from allowing that much headspace. I'd definitely rack it to something smaller (wine bottle, growler, etc), treat with a campden tablet, and top up and airlock. I probably wouldn't combine it, as it may just ruin the other wine as well.

Ok thanks for that yooper it is still fermenting will a campden tablet effect the yeast at all ??

its probably a bacteria haze because only one carboy has the problem, if it were pectic haze then both of the carboys would have the issue. treat with campden, rack it off, and top up. if it doesnt go away id probably dump it. no reason to ruin the one that doesnt have it.

Back