beer ferMented in 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1988

Reaction score
pk i had a muntons american light kit with 1lb dextrose and 1lb light extract started at 70 degrees two days later no bulling nothing at the temp is 77

Well, let me beat Revvy to it and say that airlock activity is no indication of fermentation, only your hydrometer can tell you if your beer is done. That being said, I have had numerous brews that have finished the bulk of the fermentation in a couple of days. They still needed more time to finish up, but the bulk of the yeast's work was done within 48 hours. Take some hydrometer readings and see what is going on.

Raised temperature is a sign that fermentation may well be going on. Bubbles are a good indication of fermentation... but a lack of bubbles may only mean that you have a leak in your bucket/airlock.

The ONLY way to be sure if your beer is done is to take a hydrometer reading. Wait two days, then take another. If they match, then fermentation is done.

It's still a good idea to let the beer sit for at least a couple more days to clean up.

While it is possible to reach FG, the yeast need time to finish and clean up after themselves. Is ambient temp 77 or the fermenting brew? Its only a couple of days in, I would let it be. Have you already taken a gravity reading?

This got jumped on lol

There are three phases of fermentation: Adaptive, attenuative, and conditioning. You have probably moved past the attenuative phase and are now in the conditioning phase. At this stage the krausen will fall and the beer will start to clear as the yeast flocculate out. Byproducts of active fermentation like diacetyl will be broken down by the yeast as well during this time. A few days to a few weeks for conditioning and then keg/bottle.

There are three phases of fermentation: Adaptive, attenuative, and conditioning. You have probably moved past the attenuative phase and are now in the conditioning phase. At this stage the krausen will fall and the beer will start to clear as the yeast flocculate out. Byproducts of active fermentation like diacetyl will be broken down by the yeast as well during this time. A few days to a few weeks for conditioning and then keg/bottle.

Is that what it means that the yeast will clean itself up?

SmoothSmoke said:
Is that what it means that the yeast will clean itself up?

Pretty much. Palmer covers it extensively in "How to Brew" if you want a solid reference. It is worth noting that some people are more sensitive to these compounds. I am adept at picking up on oxidation but have a hard time figuring out some of the others. More research must be done! :drunk:

Back