5 gallon igloo at kmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad coffee

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it's a good price or not, but today at kmart I saw the orange 5 gal igloo coolers for $16.

Since I paid $38 for my 10 gal on sale $16 seems good for a 5.

Just a head's up

I don't know if it's a good price or not, but today at kmart I saw the orange 5 gal igloo coolers for $16.

Since I paid $38 for my 10 gal on sale $16 seems good for a 5.

Just a head's up

That's about what I paid for mine..you can get about 14 pounds of grain in it. For people starting out or where money is an issue, or space for too much gear (like me), it works fine for most normal grav ag beers..It works perfectly for those doing PM's or 2.5 gallon batches.

I would love a larger one, but space is an issue for me, and honestly I have not yet come upon a need in all my AG batches for a 10 gallon one, despite what a lot of people advise the new brewers....

If I've come too close with my grain bill I have tweaked and used a thicker mash to get the water and grist in.

It just takes some tweaking, really.

I paid $18 for mine at wally world.

Revvy, you can get 14lbs of grain in one? I thought they maxed out at about 12.

I just now picked up 6lbs for another MG batch in mine, for a trial run of my heatstick. Now, I just have to finish my heatstick...

Revvy, you can get 14lbs of grain in one? I thought they maxed out at about 12.

Like I said you tweak the mash thicknes...I use the greenbay rackers calculator.

!f you use a quart/pound as grist/water ratio, then 14 pounds of grain and water takes up 4.62 gallons of space according to them...so playing around and using somewhere between that and 1.25 quarts/pound you can do it....

I don't do it all the time, most of my batches usually use only around 12 pounds anyway...but yeah...it can be done.

Like I said you tweak the mash thicknes...I use the greenbay rackers calculator.

!f you use a quart/pound as grist/water ratio, then 14 pounds of grain and water takes up 4.62 gallons of space according to them...so playing around and using somewhere between that and 1.25 quarts/pound you can do it....

I don't do it all the time, most of my batches usually use only around 12 pounds anyway...but yeah...it can be done.

How is your efficiency for 12 and 14 pounds?

Back