Undercarbonated Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druss716

Reaction score
Opened my very first bottle of homebrew today, a Hefeweizen from my LHBS. Spent 2 weeks in the Primary and it hit its FG of 1.012. Bottled it and had it sit for another 2 good weeks, then another week or so in the fridge after that. Tried it this afternoon and its definitely lacking carbonation. When I poured it in my glass, it didn't have much of a head. I can see bubbles in the glass, but the beer itself just tastes sort of flat. It has pretty good flavor, just not very carbonated.
Should I leave it a little bit longer before drinking, or am I doomed to have an undercarbonated beer?
Anything I can do in the future to ensure proper carbonation?
Aside from that, not bad at all for my first homebrew!

I'm only on my 3 rd brew. That happened with my first. I was prob impatient though. Try turning them upside down and resuspending the yeast. Then leave back at original temp for another week or two. Keep trying a beer every week. Out of interest did u use the carb sweets/drops or sugar? Carb drops seem to take much longer

Yes, I actually had the same problem with my first attempt at bottle conditioning, and carbonating. I also let my beer (caribou slobber) go only 2 weeks in the bottle, and one on the fridge, and it had carbonation, but not much. I still have one case that's at 70 degrees, it's sitting for 4 weeks + now, and I'm hoping its going to be better than the first case. If its not I think it's likely that I used less priming sugar than I should have.

It's my understanding that you need to wait at least 3 weeks at about 70 degrees prior to going to the fridge, and if your beer is a big beer then it needs even longer than three weeks likely. Hopefully you still have some that are at 70 degrees that you can leave longer b4 going to the fridge for experimentation purposes. At your stage everything is an experiment, so you should try them at different stages, and time intervals until you get the process right. Under carbonation is a disappointment I know, but it's still tasty beer right.

Repeat after me...."3 weeks at 70, 3 weeks at 70, 3 weeks at 70.....There are NO carbonation problems, only patience ones...."

Take the beers out of the fridge, let them warm up, and check them in TWO weeks. Give them a shake after the first week. Only put one or two in the fridge to check the carb. If they're not ready, MORE TIME.

Revvy, what would be your advice should someone have put all their beer in the fridge prematurely. What should the process be to try to get the to finish carbonating. I read the bit about turning them over, but how long should they sit upside down? Should they get a little swirl as you turn them over? And will they finish carbonating once they get back to 70 degrees, and how long should they remain at 70 b4 going back in the fridge?

I used regular old priming sugar, not tabs or anything.

Guess I'll sit tight for awhile longer.

I only put 1 or 2 bottles in the fridge, so at least the other 40+ are still rocking out and waiting.

Stupid, sexy impatience.

Revvy, what would be your advice should someone have put all their beer in the fridge prematurely. What should the process be to try to get the to finish carbonating. I read the bit about turning them over, but how long should they sit upside down? Should they get a little swirl as you turn them over? And will they finish carbonating once they get back to 70 degrees, and how long should they remain at 70 b4 going back in the fridge?

Look at my response above, I answered what someone should do if they're in the fridge.

If there is anyone on the forum that you guys should heed their words, it is Revvy. You will never go wrong following Revvy's advice! JUST DO IT!

Back