is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbreienrk1

Reaction score
This is an amber ale that has been in a secondary for almost 2 weeks (OG 1.079). I transferred it after 7 days in the primary. I've never seen so much crap on the sides or top during a secondary. I'm hoping that it just didn't have enough time in the primary, but then again I've only been at this for about 2 years now. Any thoughts?

ForumRunner_20110325_003535.jpg

ForumRunner_20110325_003552.jpg

ForumRunner_20110325_003606.jpg

are those bubbles? 1.079? that a hell of an AMBER :eek:
3 weeks? Id have me a taste and an gravity reading and find out, but thats me.

I know 1.079 is way out of the norm, but I don't brew low gravity beers anymore. There's nothing wrong with doing them, but I find it more interesting to be bold with the flavors. I recently brewed an IPA with 16oz of hops. It tasted like grass at first, but after it mellowed a bit it was amazing. Most will argue that I could've gotten the same results faster with less hops, but I wanted to learn on my own.

Anyways...since I've never tasted an infexted beer what should I expect? Or will something just be "off"?

I actually agree. I love ambers, and evrytime I brew them they fall off your palate towards the end. I make AMAZING porters EVERYTIME. And I think its mostly the complexities that I brew them with so Im going to do ANOTHER amber an go nuts myself.

ANYWAYS....I honestly have never infected a batch, I almost never rack to secondarys just to prevent it. Im in the club that doesnt believe autolysis makes any impact on taste inside of 4 weeks. But from what I hear...you will know. period. IF its infected. Also does it Smell ok?

oh and...16oz of hops is insane LOL. How many gallon batch was that in? part of me hopes you say 5. :eek: I like your style "my style" :)
Sometimes I too will just say screw all the "correct " styles and just throw stuff together. you know what, is all ok. sometimes its great.

The stuff on the side is yeast. I get that on my 5 gallon carboy all the time. The grooves on the carboy give the yeast a place to rest. The stuff on top looks unfamiliar to me. More than likely the beer is fine though. If you cooled quickly and pitched a good amount of yeast its probably fine. Taste it.

Beer is fine, the stuff on the side is yeast and the stuff on top is CO2 bubbles sticking to the surface. If it's infected I'm told "Satan's Anus" is a good flavor descriptor. ;)

Latest posts

Back