Tiny Scratches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

My Beer is in the Primary since 16 days ago and I'm going to rack it to the bottling Bucket .

I'm going to use Vinyl Tube to rack but today I mentioned tiny scratches on Cuttings of the Tube and they made me worried .

The vinyl Tube is the only Option that I have for racking .

Can I trust sanitizing ?!

Or is there any way to get rid of those Scratches ?!

Hector

When you say the cuttings, are you talking about where the tubing was cut from the roll? If so, I don't see why that would matter. The tubing will go around the outside of the racking cane so it won't even touch the beer. Just clean and sanitize as normal. Maybe I'm missing something here? I wouldn't fret it, hector...

Millions of tubers can't be wrong. Quit sweating the really really really really really really really really really small stuff.

If you are really concerned then just do a new CLEAN cut on the ends. Loose 1/2inch length and gain peace of mind.

I've lost two Batches of Beer before racking , although I had sanitized everything very carefully .
Therefore , I'm afraid of such things because this time the Beer looks Normal and without infection in the Primary .

It has no use to make a clean Cut because these tiny Scratches are made by cutting .

Hector

If you are really concerned then just do a new CLEAN cut on the ends. Loose 1/2inch length and gain peace of mind.

Yeah, if you want to be super careful, sanitize a razor blade and make some new cuts, then sanitize the tube. It'll be fine.

Yeah, if you want to be super careful, sanitize a razor blade and make some new cuts, then sanitize the tube. It'll be fine.

O.K. that sounds good !

BUT should I do the same thing each time I want to rack ?!

Then the tube will get shorter and shorter...

Hector

this really shouldn't be a problem. if you want, cut it once, then as long as you treat everything right it will be fine.

I don't. However, I replace hoses every ten batches or so. When you use a hose, sanitize, use, rinse with hot water immediately, then put it back into the sanitizer, then dry and put away. This practice will keep it clean. If you ever see gunk or residue in the hose, just get rid of it.

I oxyclean FREE! my hoses once in a blue moon to clear out any accumulated brown gunk, they appear good as new after 20-30 minutes (I autosiphon through a few times every 5-10 minutes or so to keep the tube exposed to fresh cleanser). Sanitize before every use.

Never had a problem.

I've lost two Batches of Beer before racking , although I had sanitized everything very carefully .
Therefore , I'm afraid of such things because this time the Beer looks Normal and without infection in the Primary .

It has no use to make a clean Cut because these tiny Scratches are made by cutting .

Hector

More likely that those beers were lost to oxidation or perhaps what you were racking into being under-sanitized.* *yeah, I made my own word, get over it :)** Never had an issue with my tubing, just make sure EVERYTHING is clean and sanitized!

Back