First Partial Mash - First self-styled recipe - what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
Hi all,
Fresh off my frustration with a stiff stout that I brewed on Monday (which blew the lid off my fermentor in a fit of anger, and a disappointing first tasting of a prior Nut Brown which apparently acquired some chlorine somewhere, I decided I need to redeem myself and try another brew.

This time I used some of the leftover steeping grains from the first nut brown, and I mashed in some maris otter, victory, special roast, and oats. I am especially curious about the oats. This was my first time using them or doing a partial mash, and I think it went pretty well. I used Deathbrewers techniques, though I lost 8 degrees over the hour long mash time to 147, but I think I did OK for the first try. I figured I'd try this with some extract the first couple times and see how it goes.

So here's the recipe I made in beersmith. I was going for a milder, silkier version of an english brown. Do you think it will be any good? please critique....

Sow your Mild Oats - English Brown Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 1/7/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: bradley leland
Boil Size: 3.08 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Extract 53.0 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 21.2 %
0.60 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.4 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
0.50 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
0.20 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
0.13 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 1.4 %
0.60 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.40 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.043 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.7 %
Bitterness: 15.7 IBU
Est Color: 23.3 SRM

23 SRM is darker than the porter I just brewed, which is fine, but the Carafa just doesn't seem very English. I'd drop it.

OK, so I just cold crashed and bottled this after 2.5 weeks....I know this is a bit early, but it's a relatively low gravity ale (OG: 1.043 and only attenuated to 1.019) and I'm impatient because I ran out of homebrew to drink. I have to say, it tasted pretty damn good, and I'm excited. even uncarbonated from the fermentor I could tell I achieved the creamy texture I was going for by PMing some 2-row and oats, and the phenolic flavor of my first attempt at an english brown was thankfully absent....
...next time I will mash a few degrees lower (mashed at 155) to dry it out a little extra as I think it should have attenuated a few points more, but it is supposed to be a little malty anyway....also, since I started homebrewing I have noticed too much carbonation as a common flaw in beers like this, so I only used a slightly more than 1/3 cup (a heaping 1/3 cup, lets say, or around 2.4oz)....
I'll report back in a few weeks with the final taste results.

Raisins! this beer is good! and it tastes a little like raisins and cream!...in the best possible way, that is.

This beer is mild, and the flavor does not jump out and mug your tastebuds, but caresses them lovingly. You could chug this beer because it's completely sessionable, but you'd miss out on a complexity of malt flavors. Texture-wise this turned out every bit as creamy as I'd hoped as well. Undercutting the usual amount of carbonation really brought out the creamy-oat texture. Hop-presence is nowhere to be found with this one, but that's as it should be.

dare I say it, this beer reminds me of a more drinkable and mild version of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown ale....

.....In any case, it's by far the best beer I've made yet. I handed it to my normally somewhat indifferent wife to taste and she refused to hand it back, then she was asking me about it a day later. this is the surest sign that I'm on to something with this one.

I think I'll try to replicate this beer before I bother posting in the recipe section, but consider this my official verdict. It's damn good!

Back