AHS limited British IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molson

Reaction score
Did anybody else buy this kit? When I calculate out the IBUs with this hop schedule it comes out to over 100. Starting gravity is 1.055 and boil volume is 6.25.

2oz Admiral 13.1% 60 Minutes 91.8 IBU
.5oz Admiral 13.1% 15 Minutes 11.4 IBU
.5oz Admiral 13.1% 5 Minutes 4.6 IBU

I contacted AHS and they stated based on their calculations the IBUs are only 50.0 Am I doing the calculations wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

No feedback?

It shows it uses Admiral and Kent Goldings on the website, are you sure it is suppose to be 2 oz. at 60 min.

Yea that's what the instructions say, the Kent Golding are used to dry hop with. Maybe I just adjust down from 2 ounces.

I don't know where they get 50 from then, on brewtoad when I put it in, it shows 82 ibus with just the 2 oz. at 60

Kind of aggravated with the response I got from AHS that beersmith and my calculations must be wrong. I also wonder why the don't publish the IBUs of any of their recipes anywhere.

Just plugged the numbers into brewpal and got 94 IBUs
Think I'm going to just take 1 oz Admiral @60 which will give me 56 IBUs
I might add to dry hop when I see how they smell. Has anyone had experience with Admiral?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was thinking of doing the same thing, 1 oz @60 minutes. I reached out to AHS on here and on their Facebook page and got no response. Aggravating that they won't explain why the IBUs are so high in the recipe.

Is this an extract kit? Maybe they are expecting you to do a partial boil and top off. With your numbers and a 6.25 gal boil I get 95 IBU in Beersmith from that one addition. With a 3 gal boil and topping off I get 56 IBU.

Mine is all grain, but I wonder if they aren't adjusting the hop schedules for the different kits. They are probably keeping it the same for the extract and the all grain kits. If that's the case they should disclose that.

Mine is all grain, but I wonder if they aren't adjusting the hop schedules for the different kits. They are probably keeping it the same for the extract and the all grain kits. If that's the case they should disclose that.

Yeah if that's an all grain kit something is wiggy because your calcluations look right. I'd go with your plan to take out 1 oz of the bittering.

It does say do 20% less hops on all grain

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm going to have to go back and read the instructions, can't believe I missed that.

Latest posts

Back