Rubber glove residue in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwibbidy

Reaction score
I was sanitizing my bottles and all my equipment for bottling and noticed halfway thru that there was a yellow color to the sanitizing solution coming from my yellow rubber gloves so half the bottles have this sort of rubber flavor to it as we'll, question is whether its safe to drink?

I don't know if its rubber or latex or silicone but the yellow color and a very slight offtaste

Rubber gloves? I've never worn them, so I"m not sure what's in them, but I'm assuming that the sanitizer broke up some of the glove material. I don't know what to tell you- it doesn't sound good.

But I just have to know- why the rubber gloves? Are you allergic to the grains/hops or something?

No just after rinsing and sanitizing 50 bottles my hands get all messed up so I decided to use gloves this time but Im not gonna do it anymore

No just after rinsing and sanitizing 50 bottles my hands get all messed up so I decided to use gloves this time but Im not gonna do it anymore

Ah! I'd try hospital-type gloves for next time.

I still have to guess that the acid in the star-san "ate" something in the gloves, or at least leached it out. I'd be wary. Star-san, properly mixed, has pH of something like 2.4- in other words a pretty strong acid!

I still have to guess that the acid in the star-san "ate" something in the gloves, or at least leached it out. I'd be wary. Star-san, properly mixed, has pH of something like 2.4- in other words a pretty strong acid!

Nitrile gloves is what you want. Probably you could get a box of them on ebay.

Yooper said:

I diluted 1 oz of starsan into 5 gallons water and only the slight remaining residue/bubbles remained in the bottles so it was a veeeeery small diluted amount of starsan it just has a very slight off/rubbery taste, barely noticeable but I can tell I just want to know if its safety share with people

I just won't use gloves anymore from here on out but I still need to know if there is anything in the yellow coloring or the rubber/silicone/latex that could hurt someone who drank it

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........................................................

Wash and sanitize everything again then see if the taste is still there. I'm betting that it isn't.

bja said:
Wash and sanitize everything again then see if the taste is still there. I'm betting that it isn't.

I'm wondering about the beers I already have bottled and are conditioning right now.....are THESE beers safe to drink?

I think what happened is the mild acid in Star-San leached the color from the gloves and I am going to assume that it may not be something you want to consume. Most coloring agents are petroleum based unless they are USDA approved color. I would be very cautious.

Star San messes up my hands as well, specially this time of year, so I use a good lotion every night to try and keep them from drying out and cracking and then bleeding.

Damn.....this is my fourth batch and my first three were all sour.... I fixed my sanitation issues and finally made a good Amber this time, minus the leaching from the glove, I drank two bottles last night and have to say it finally tasted like a legit Amber! Ugh....i can't believe I have to throw out another batch!!

schwibbidy said:
Damn.....this is my fourth batch and my first three were all sour.... I fixed my sanitation issues and finally made a good Amber this time, minus the leaching from the glove, I drank two bottles last night and have to say it finally tasted like a legit Amber! Ugh....i can't believe I have to throw out another batch!!

Why throw it out if it tastes good?

tmurph6 said:
Why throw it out if it tastes good?

So even with the leaching from the gloves you would still drink it? I thought they tasted good with a slight rubber off taste but I thought it could be toxic with whatever leached off the gloves

It's not toxic. Pretty sure you could eat a rubber glove and not be harmed. Though I wouldn't recommend it.

What about the yellow color that was leached off of the gloves? Isn't that stuff toxic?

I really doubt anyone is going to be able to say specifically what chemicals leached out of an unnamed brand of glove and then be able to say definitively whether it's safe to drink. I've drunk worse things than yellow glove coloring. If the taste is alright, then it's up to you if you want to drink it.

You'll probably get cancer from that colorant. If you ate a glove a day for 400 years! (except in the state of California...)

If it were me, I wouldn't get all worried about it, but I chew my fingernails and God know where my fingers have been!

Back