Pale ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldwaterbrew

Reaction score
My pale ale is currently fermenting would it be beneficial to move to secondary carboy and move to cooler temperature. In the past I went straight to bottling and it turned out good. Wondering what a secondary and or cold temps will do for me.

A secondary? Nothing. Leave it in primary for 3 weeks. Colder temps? Will help precipitate out some proteins that cause haze.

There's a lot of threads on this discussion. You could search and find a lot more information and opinions that are probably based on more experience than what I can give you with my anser. From what I gather, the secondary is really only necessary anymore if you are looking to add some extra flavorings later or dry hopping. One benefit I have found though, is that the secondary fermentation allows you one extra step towards clearer beer. This could also be just as simple as allowing that extra time the beer has sat in secondary though and the fact that it usually sits there in cooler temps. But it does leave less sediment in my kegs if I secondary before kegging as opposed to just going from primary to secondary. The cooler temps will allow sediment to drop out easier.

Big thing though, before moving the beer at all, make sure your fermentation is done and that the beer has stayed at a final gravity for a couple of days. For me, I let my beers primary for roughly 3 weeeks. That allows the yeast to do more of it's thing and I feel I have better tasting beer for it. At the end of the day, there are still some varying opinions on the matter, but I have found no major benefit to secondary unless I'm dry-hopping or adding some other flavors, fruit, etc.

I leave it in primary 3-4 weeks,depending on when it finishes & clears up.Then rack to the bottling bucket & prime. Gotta do that today. It cleans up by products of fermentation as it settles out.

I leave in primary and cold crash for a couple days before bottling. I get some pretty nice clarity.

Back