The Old Sam Adams?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsumbeers

Reaction score
I'm sitting here enjoying a Sam Adams Noble Pils. My wife loves it. I long ago abandoned Boston Lager because I believed it was no longer what it once was. But, tasting this Pils it takes me right back to the Boston Lager of the early 90s. Anyone else get this?

not with the regular SA, but i have noticed that the winter lager (used to be a christmas favorite of mine) has changed for the worse. im starting to think that i jumped on the craft brew band wagon when sam adams was expanding to the point where they had to start using lesser quality ingredients and start cutting corners.

Wasn't able to drink in the early 90's BUT, slightly OT, I love the Winter Lager. It's not to 'stouty' and still has that nice carbonated refreshing taste to it if you know what I mean!

I'm with you. Damn, the 90's Sam Lager was my favorite. Thought me and my buddy were the only ones that thought it went downhill. I laugh when someone says the Lager today is good. Too malty now. I'm just outside of Boston, so we used to have it available on tap everywhere. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic for a good old Sam Lager, but I remember back in the day it had a slight fruitiness to it when fresh on tap.

I think a lot of the Sam stuff went downhill when they started resorting to more cotract brewing of thier beers. Some of the seasonal stuff is good, but I really miss an old school Sam Lager!!!

Same with Harpoon IPA. That used to be the most balanced IPA back then. Now it doesn't even taste like an IPA.

Maybe my taste buds have changed?

just ets'd after 6.5 years of being an infantryman. carson was my second unit i was in Aco 1-22in 1st BCT(heavy) 4th ID. the first unit was 1-506 4th BCT 101st airborne division.

I loved this year's Octoberfest; I felt like it was an excellent, flavorful brew. The Winter Lager is not bad at all, for my money. Drinkable, but still some nice flavor going on.

hell ya, i loved being in carson, and colorado in general....not too fond of 4th ID though, but its over now (or maybe not, who knows?). ive known a number of intel guys, and for the most part, they were all "unique",lol. got a good buddy of mine going SFAS in a couple of weeks.

I just polished off my 6 pack of Noble Pils. My favorite Sam Adams beer of all time. Their Winter Lager is pretty good but nowhere near Noble Pils.

Latest posts

Back