Cold crashing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
What all does cold crashing involve and do. And can I cold crash if I intend to bottle condition.

Cold crash just means dramatically and quickly reducing the temperature in the fermenter so as to help drop out suspended yeast and other stuff, in order to clarify the beer. I usually drop the temp to around mid 30's and leave it there for 5-7 days, then rack off of the trub while the beer is still quite cold so as to leave all the gunk behind. I have never had a problem bottle conditioning after a cold crash.

So no problem carbonating ? Ok so just priming sugar no additional yeast. ? And you cold crash in primary at end of fermentation ? Or can ido it after I rack to secondary

iBrewR said:
No

Just priming sugar. Base the amount on the highest temperature your beer rested at after primary fermentation ended.

Either or both. Depends on how obsessive you are. :D

Sounds great have a pale ale fermenting will be cold crashing after it's been in secondary for a week or two. Thank all

Cheers!!!

I have had good results without that long in the cold. When it's winter but mild out, I'll leave a bucket on the porch overnight (so long as it isn't freezing) and that will usually help clear things up. Long may be better, but even what I've done has helped.

Back