Brewing stuff you can get at dollar store/Wal-Mart/Target etc...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was wanting to make a list of things that are commonly used in beer brewing that can be easily purchased at a dollar store or wal mart or the like.

One thing I was thinking about was a large strainer that will fit the top of a 6.5 gallon SS stock pot. Is this something I need to get at the beer store or can a big enough model be found at dollar general, walmart, lowes or home depot or some other such major retailer?

Anyway, does anyone else here pick up little helpful items at cheap cost at these types of stores?

Thanks in advance

I picked up a large (18 gallon?) bucket for swamp cooling from Wal-Mart for $6. And +1 on the oxy-clean free also. While I was there I picked up 5 gallons of cheap 100% apple juice to make some apfelwein as well. Worthwhile trip I'd say.

There was a thread a while back about Better Bottles that were available at Walmart for cheap.

Do a search and see what comes up....great way to get fermenters for cheap.

the dollar store by routinely has turkey frier burners and aluminum and stainless pots on the side walk

awesome!

What about strainers/funnels? Anyone encounter any industrial size at these types of stores?

Thanks for all entries!

Haven't looked at funnels...I'm sure they have them, but not sure if they are big enough.

I have about 3 plastic dish pans from Walmart. I use them in a few places. To catch spills when filling bottles (I know people use their dishwasher panel, but I fill in my garage), a basin for sanitizer, etc. They are very useful and cost about $2.50 each I think.

L.A.'s Totally Awesome brand oxygen cleaner is sold at a dollar store near my house. Funny thing is, I bought 5 1-lb. packages of it, and two of them were fragrance free, but the other three were not. None of them were marked either way, and the only discernible difference between the packaging is that the scented cleaner had a thin yellow ring on the top and bottom of the label. They don't seem to work 100% as well as the real stuff, but $1/lb is a heck of a savings, so it's worth it.

The scented stuff did actually smell pretty good, but I wouldn't want to use it on my brewing equipment if I can help it.

Searched at a few stores for large strainers and came up empty. Then I went to a restaurant supply store that sells to the public and found a nice 12" strainer for roughly $10, maybe less. It's got a long handle and hangs perfectly on brew pots and fermenters. I use it to drain my grains (for BIAB) and to do some rough filtering and aeration of the wort on its way into the bucket.

Guys, I got two huge 12 gallon rope-handled tubs at Wal Mart today--priced at $4.95!!!

They are black but very nice, durable high-grade plastic.

They are big enough to fill with water and use as a carboy insulator or to sanitize big and small size equipment.

I used one tonight while bottling up my American Pale Ale and it was great.

Back