Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question. Has the Centennial Blonde recipe change from the original back in 2007? Basically, what Biermuncher's later version of this recipe or is it the same as when it started.

Sorry, but didn't feel like going through 154 pages of history to see if it had changed. Thanks.

Quick question. Has the Centennial Blonde recipe change from the original back in 2007? Basically, what Biermuncher's later version of this recipe or is it the same as when it started.

Sorry, but didn't feel like going through 154 pages of history to see if it had changed. Thanks.

Nope - no changes. I have played around with different yeasts though. Just kegged a version fermented with Bell's house yeast. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Brewed this again. Added another 1lb of grain to my bill to compensate for the lack of efficiency with the LHBS crush. Turns out after I weighed everything out that they got new crushers and systems, ended up hitting 75% which will put this about 5% given my additions.

Made a big 1.5L starter, it's chewing through that now. Hopefully I can have that kegged and ready for my buddies wedding in two weeks.

Brewed this up last night for the first time. I wanted a little more of a citrus flavor so I added 1 oz of dried lemon peel with 10 minutes left in boil. Hoping for a good lemon flavor that isn't too powerful in lieu of this warm Michigan weather!

I have mine in the keg, sampled a bit tonight and it had a buttery flavor to it so i'm guessing i have some diacteyl. I'll let it simmer for a while and see how it does.

I'm doing my 1st all grain batch & 1st all recipe batch. Everything else I've done has been from a kit using an extract.

Proof is in the PICTURES!

Thank you Mr. Muncher. You've answered all my questions before I got a chance to talk.

Spent $22 at my LHBS for this 5 gallon batch. It's half the cost of a kit.

The owner said I'm brewing like a Triathlete when I used to be just walking.

With HBT as a trainer............... I'll come in the top 10.

Wish me luck!

Checked the gravity today - 1.013 after 6 days, 4.99% abv. And tastes REALLY good. Gonna measure gravity tomorrow and Sunday, will keg and force carb if it's all done then so it's ready for the wedding next weekend. Hell, I could drink it as is now. PSYCHED.

i just brewed this as my first all grain. (biab) my pre boil reading was 1.040 and my post boil reading was 1.048 . Just wondering if that seems right. I did the recipe with no changes. My wort is bubbling only after 5 hours and its alot clearer then it was when i pitched. But there is like 3 inches of turb/crap in the bottom of my carboy. just wondering if that is normal. I have only ever made brewhouse beer kits.

m0808 said:
i just brewed this as my first all grain. (biab) my pre boil reading was 1.040 and my post boil reading was 1.048 . Just wondering if that seems right. I did the recipe with no changes. My wort is bubbling only after 5 hours and its alot clearer then it was when i pitched. But there is like 3 inches of turb/crap in the bottom of my carboy. just wondering if that is normal. I have only ever made brewhouse beer kits.

Yes, that much trub is normal.

Gonna make two extract batches of this, tomorrow. My LHBS was running low on extra light DME. I picked up eight lbs of extra light and two pounds of light. I think I'll add the light about 15 minutes before flame out.

Looking forward to trying this...or, at least what I was able to come up with for ingredients ;-)

ordered everything to mke this ............. but my drunk a$$ forgot to order yeast guess ill be going to the LHBS to get some wyeast

Nope - no changes. I have played around with different yeasts though. Just kegged a version fermented with Bell's house yeast. I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Had to sample this after a week in the keg - sublime! It has a slightly more rounded, balanced flavor than when I used Nottingham. To me the original had a slight grainy taste to it - now its smoother and delicious-er.

Ok, so I brewed this a week ago saturday, just checked the gravity and its sitting at 1.002! I used nottingham. I have never had anything atten. that low before! Taasted good. My OG was 1.041 so its sitting at 5.03%. Little more than Id hoped actually. Wanted this to be more of a mild. Also I mashed at the correct temp.

Keg kicked yesterday, sheesh that was fast! Everybody loved this beer, probably too much, I hardly got any of it! lol

Just popped the top off my first batch of this stuff. It is really awesome and actually has more character than I thought it would. I suppose it is would be like a Bud Heavy if Bud was delightful.

It is very smooth with excellent flavor. The malt comes through nicely and the hops leave you with a little something to think about.

I'm tasting a bit of honey too I think. Anyone else getting that?

I would brew it again and not change a thing.

This might sound weird but I'm drinking a Kentucky kolsch right now and it tastes like my centennial blonde! Like identical.

I unknowingly unhooked the line from the manifold of my keg before bleeding off the 30 psi of pressure from force carbing and got treated to a nice shower of Centennial Blonde straight to the face, before packing up for the wedding. It sure tasted pretty good.

I sure hope you did that before you had gotten dressed for the wedding! My keg is getting low... guess I may brew another batch of this goodness... this time, I'll be doing all grain... I hope its as great as the extract version was...

I missed my gravity on this a bit and ended up bittering with Challenger and flavor/aroma with Cascade. Was a bit more hoppy than I hoped for but good sweet malt flavor and very drinkable.

Had a party on the 17th and I estimate there was 4.25g. in the keg, kicked the day after the party when I pulled second pint. Guess it was popular, there were only about 10 beer drinkers there, some women only had one or two...

Made something similar this weekend but backed down the hops even more (Centennial this time since I have so many). This is such a good beer.

It was finally ripe after 2 weeks in the keg. Fantastic beer. The only change I made was that I brewed with W1056. Perfect! Will brew this again.

Just tried my 2nd go at this beer.... First time I used white labs Nottingham platinum series, and this time wl001..... I have to say I like it better with the 001..... Great beer. Making it for a party in may... That will be the 3, maybe 4 batch by then..... Hats off to the OP. cheers

It was finally ripe after 2 weeks in the keg. Fantastic beer. The only change I made was that I brewed with W1056. Perfect! Will brew this again.

I went back and tracked each of your posts in this thread since you brewed this and I think you went primary for 2 weeks and keg condition for 2 weeks? I started drinking mine at 4 weeks (actually killed it at a party when it was 4 weeks old). 3 in primary, 1 in keg (burst-carbed). I think it was malty-sweet and a tad over-bittered due to missing my gravity. Wondering if it would have mellowed with more time or not...

It was popular, but I wonder how it would have been if I left it another week or two. I never can leave it well enough alone. Have to get more kegs so I don't drink all my beer (making room for the next one).

I went back and tracked each of your posts in this thread since you brewed this and I think you went primary for 2 weeks and keg condition for 2 weeks? I started drinking mine at 4 weeks (actually killed it at a party when it was 4 weeks old). 3 in primary, 1 in keg (burst-carbed). I think it was malty-sweet and a tad over-bittered due to missing my gravity. Wondering if it would have mellowed with more time or not...

1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary, 2 weeks in keg. After about one week in keg, mine tasted exactly the way you described yours - sweet and malty. I was bit disappointed. One more week and after few more glasses (bottom part of the keg was gone by this point) it was perfect. Give it one more week and sample a glass every now a then. I bet it will be fine.

Oh, just realized you already finished it. Well, next time, I guess.

Just tasted the neighborhood with CB. EVERYONE LOVED IT!!!! Nailed the 1.040 and finished at 1.003. Crisp clear and very sessionable!!

My brewing partner and I have 11 gallons on the burner right now. The weather deceided to start raining on me tonight but were sticking it out. Should be done in a couple hours. Can't wait to taste it though i got a pparty in 15 days so it wont have long to condition. Gonna dry hop one keg and leave the other as is. Thanks BM

IMAG1408 by Salvador Mora 3, on Flickr

MMachi said:
Bottled this tonight after a quick 14 day primary and it's beautiful. My SG was a point high (1.040), but my I hit my FG on the nose which put's my ABV at 4.19%. Taste is clean and crisp, but a tad yeasty considering the short ferment, but I can tell this will be a very nice quencher for the warm weather after it carbs and goes in my fridge. I can only imagine how easy this will go down when ice cold after mowing the lawn... Thanks for the recipe.

Cracked a bottle tonight and it was delicious! I'll probably need to re-brew this soon as I can't imagine it will last long. Thanks!

Man just added the first. . 25oz of cenn. It just seems like such a little amount..... it smells great. But Im so tempted to add a couple pinches more

I just brewed this yesterday. OG was very close at 1.041. In the primary now and it's bubbling, smells great. ;)

I can't wait! :mug:

ForumRunner_20120331_204804.jpg

Ok so my blonde didn't turn out so blonde doe any one else's look like this.

I ended up with about a gallon less then I wanted..... and forgot my hopscreen so I have alot of hop crap in thou bottom....

But my OG was 1.041 I don't get it.....

Back