Panic mood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
I just kicked my last keg..a wonderful amber by far the best one I've made in six attempts .
I promptly cleaned out my keg and got ready to pour in a new batch of imperial ipa. When I opened the fermentor (22nd day of ferment) A strong alcohol smell came with it. "I've made beer! Again by god "
Then I noticed something...something I've never seen. For the most part it's clear. But I noticed a white clump of something? I'm hopping it's just a yeasty but I never saw it so big. And I saw lots of bubbles. I know air is bad so I kinda freaked. I also noticed bubbles coming to the top! So I quickly placed the lid back on and am praying I didn't goof up! (and by praying I mean I came on here to ask you guys!) I didn't check the gravity because I didn't plan on checking anything. So nothing was sanitized . Talk me down here!

Here's what I'm saw....oh the horror! :O

image-2757305509.jpg

image-2448686233.jpg

How does it smell? Did you taste it? If it tastes ok, I think you are fine. Could be just a clump of yeasties.:mug:

Flyin1500 said:
How does it smell? Did you taste it? If it tastes ok, I think you are fine. Could be just a clump of yeasties.:mug:

It smelled like alcohol ...the good kind. No bad smells. I didn't taste it. I wanted to but I didn't have anything sanitized.

thats a yeast raft. and those bubbles are totally normal, a lot my beers look like that the whole time. In fact if the gravity is stable you can probably rack it now

AdamPag said:
thats a yeast raft. and those bubbles are totally normal, a lot my beers look like that the whole time. In fact if the gravity is stable you can probably rack it now

I wanted to check the gravity tonight... But I freaked out. So the bubbles are ok? It's not getting to much o2

HawksBrewer said:
It looks like the head of a ravenous squirrel trying to escape carbonite freezing. Just my 2 cents.

That's what I'm saying! The thing scared the hell outta me!

The bubbles are those guys kicken out the O2. Think of it as a yeast party raft. A booze cruze for a brewers best friends :)

Scoop out the clump with a sanitized spoon and squish it between your fingers. Examine it, smell it, maybe taste it. Then smear it on the bathroom wall and keg the rest of it.

beninan said:
Scoop out the clump with a sanitized spoon and squish it between your fingers. Examine it, smell it, maybe taste it. Then smear it on the bathroom wall and keg the rest of it.

Lmao! So it's basically crap!

AdamPag said:
You better be joking.

Trolllolololol

No I'm not joking....sorry. No clue who Jaba is. Unless its in star wars are a pitcher for the new York Yankees

No I'm not joking....sorry. No clue who Jaba is. Unless its in star wars are a pitcher for the new York Yankees

it's the former, as in the Hut. the guy who'd be freezing squirrels in carbonite. even though that thing looks like a ravenous squirrel in carbonite, it's not, it really looks like a large clump (raft) of yeast. don't sweat it and keg that beer up.

This is really really tame compared to some of the pics in the infection threads around here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

People have racked beer from underneath some truely terrible looking growths and still enjoyed their beer. I have decided that should an infection happen to me I will immediatley bottle said beer and drink it. Of course yours doesn't look like an infection to me anyway soooooooo you're good ;)

AdamPag said:
Oh thank god... ITS A TRAP!!!!!

I think I'm naming my beer genral Akbar ipa....or my next one the Catina lager ....NEW THREAD! Star wars beer names!

Back