My single tier build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2fooz

Reaction score
I'm not going as crazy as a few around here, but this will be a single tier, 3 keggle setup. 2in x 2in 16 gauge steel.

Brewstand_1.jpg

Brewstand_2.jpg

Brewstand_3.jpg

Brewstand_4.jpg

Brewstand_5.jpg

Brewstand_6.jpg

That's it so far.

looks great, Why can't I know how to weld!

I went to the prestigious University of YouTube. Seriously there are tons of videos that can show you how to weld. It takes some practice but it's not that difficult.

Very nice! Your 45s are impeccable.
How does the mitre saw hold up to the steel? We only use chop saws, and your photos have me thinking. I'm just concerned they wouldn't hold up the the abuse and heat.

I am guessing the miter saw is the dewalt metal saw, want one SO bad, super clean cuts and accurate...i gave up on the old chop saw for miters...nice looking rig

I am guessing the miter saw is the dewalt metal saw, want one SO bad, super clean cuts and accurate...i gave up on the old chop saw for miters...nice looking rig

We were cutting miters on a chop saw last week and the blade/saw was deflecting so bad we had to use a bench disk sander to square up the cuts. I was thinking of putting a metal blade in my Dewalt compound miter saw and using that instead. It has to be much more accurate.

I ask the metal shop about the metal blades on my miter saw, thay said they spin to fast and the blade will come apart. Have ruined a cheap miter saw with the metal chopsaw blades in it....good cuts but the saw doesnt last long....

It's definitely not a metal saw - you can see the yellow low friction plastic insert in the cutting deck and none of the Dewalt metal saws has one of those. If I had to guess it's a DW713 single bevel miter model...

Cheers!

I ask the metal shop about the metal blades on my miter saw, thay said they spin to fast and the blade will come apart. Have ruined a cheap miter saw with the metal chopsaw blades in it....good cuts but the saw doesnt last long....

That's my concern (wearing out). With the number of cuts we do in a given week it wouldn't take long to destroy an expensive saw.
Maybe we'll do enough business in 2012 to buy a large horizontal band saw or a cold saw. :rockin:

It's not a metal saw. It works fine with the metal cutting blade on it, but I'm not sure about it on a regular basis. If you notice, I spaced the bar stock away from the plastic insert with some MDF blocks. The insert would melt without the spacing. The cuts themselves are more square and straight than the cuts from the metal supply.

So you are using a regular miter sae with the metal dry cut blade on it? any speed controlers? I have another old 10 inch miter saw that I was going to try this with.

So you are using a regular miter sae with the metal dry cut blade on it? any speed controlers? I have another old 10 inch miter saw that I was going to try this with.

Correct, regular Dewalt miter saw with the Dewalt metal cutting blade from Home Depot. No speed controller.

Here's what I did today...
Still need to add the castors and get my burners.

Brewstand_7.jpg

Brewstand_8.jpg

Correct, regular Dewalt miter saw with the Dewalt metal cutting blade from Home Depot. No speed controller.

For the record, was that DeWalt blade a fiber reinforced cutting disk, or one of their titanium carbide metal blades?

I'm guessing it's the former, because I can't find a 10" diameter version of the latter...

Cheers!

ps: That stand is looking awesome. Really nice work!

n2fooz, Nice stand. I just got done welding mine all up as well yesterday. I will start a new thread soon enough.

For what it's worth I have a old Delta 10" miter saw with a metal blade and that thing is caked in metal flake, melted in all sorts of areas, and is still ticking. Its lasted 2 brew stand builds, tons of random motorcycle parts fab, and a bunch of other random stuff. Dont fear the miter saw with a metal blade you guys

Since my burners aren't here yet. Can anyone tell me the measurements of the mounting points on the BG-14 burners? Are they fairly consistent?

Since my burners aren't here yet. Can anyone tell me the measurements of the mounting points on the BG-14 burners? Are they fairly consistent?

In a word: No
You need 11.25" side to side. The bolts are 6 x 1.0 (metric). Drill .375" holes and use larger washers.

Its 11" across from mounting points if you want to have the bell sticking out at 90 degrees you need to put 45 degree pieces in.

Sorry Chris, I beg to disagree. Note the link, I'm a vendor building brew stands.

Having mounted about 2 dozen of these, trust me on the 11.25" If you use a 4" deep wind screen, the actual burner will sit low enough that the bell will clear the bottom.
Depending on the depth of your stand you can mount the wind screen at 45 degrees.

No comment cept nice! Keep the pix coming. We want to see how its goin. I need one of these

Thanks all. I'm going to go with 45º mounting. I imagine that they probably vary by at least 1/8" so it would be a good idea to use the 11.25" measurement. Thanks hoppy guy, I was hoping you would chime in since I know you are always making these.

Ok, I added gussets for mounting the castors and the 45's for the burners (which I only tacked in place until I actually receive my burners)

Brewstand_11.jpg

Brewstand_10.jpg

Brewstand_9.jpg

If I may... Noticing your beads on the corner brace I was wondering if that was stainless or mild? (both the frame and the brace) are your running .035? I am guessing your running those bottles as well but I have not upgraded mine yet, if that is stainless have you ever tried the flux core ss wire?

If I may... Noticing your beads on the corner brace I was wondering if that was stainless or mild? (both the frame and the brace) are your running .035? I am guessing your running those bottles as well but I have not upgraded mine yet, if that is stainless have you ever tried the flux core ss wire?

His stand is mild steel.

Good job on the welding. I like it.:mug:

Thanks. It's mild steel. I'm using solid wire with 75 argon/25CO2 gas. The shielding gas make a HUGE difference.

I decided to go with 16ga stainless steel heat shields, which were a challenge to bend into circles. I cut a form in a piece of maple and used my vice as a press to make my hoops.
Brewstand_12.jpg

Brewstand_13.jpg

Brewstand_14.jpg

Sweet!
Question:
Are you planing to put an air gap between the frame and your Pots, Kettles or Kegs?

Sorry the photo is sideways....

Kettle.JPG

Back