Portland, OR brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In Portland for 48 hours and was wondering if people know of anyplace serving a good bitter or English Mild or just what micro- or nano- beers to seek out in general.

McMenamins (not sure about spelling) is usually good. They brew a range of beers.

If you're looking for English style beers, head to the Horse Brass Pub http://www.horsebrass.com/. You can also check out the Green Dragon, they have a huge selection of beer from all around Portland. Also, about a block away from the Green Dragon is the Cascade Barrel House. If you are into sour beers, you definitely need to check out Cascade.

Luarelwood Public house has really good beers. 5115 NE Sandy Blvd Portland, OR 97213. Also they are organic if your into that kind of thing.
The green dragon has a bunch of beers on tap.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

McMenamins makes some really good beer. Ruby is pretty famous. It's a raspberry wheat. They also make a good stout called Terminator Stout. Us locals can order something interesting called a Rubinator. 1/2 ruby and 1/2 terminator. Good stuff.

I must say I'm shocked at all the recommendations for McMennamins. Portland has some amazing breweries and brew pubs. McMeannamins is not one of them. They have a lot of locations, but to me their beer is not that great, and there are certainly better places to go if you only have 48 hours in Portland.

I must say I'm shocked at all the recommendations for McMennamins. Portland has some amazing breweries and brew pubs. McMeannamins is not one of them. They have a lot of locations, but to me their beer is not that great, and there are certainly better places to go if you only have 48 hours in Portland.

Totally agree with this .

+1 for Horse Brass if you want an English beer. Don't go to McMenamins with only 48 hours in Portland. It would help to know what neighborhood you will be in but SE is my recommendation.

No kidding, and while I can appreciate a pitcher of Terminator while watching an old movie, most strip clubs in Portland carry better Portland beer than a McMennamins.

48 hours isn't enough to experience Portland.

Wow, lots of hate on McMennamins. I never realized so many people disliked their stuff. I happen to enjoy it.

I'll probably get bashed for this also but Widmer Hefeweizen was my favorite beer for years when the micro-brewery stuff started really taking off. I was 25 or so and just got back from the service. I was amazed at how good and different it was compared to what I was used to. It's no longer my "favorite" but I still enjoy it.

Amnesia has a good ESB, Horse Brass has a wide selection, as does Green Dragon. Not many bitters or milds available in PDX, but lots of interesting beers of other styles.
+1 on the McMennamins hating. Why go to a McDonald's when you can get a great Kobe beef burger? Plus, they have horrible service...

Another +1 on not going to McMenamins, they have okay beers....but I wouldn't go there unless I really had to.

Deschutes is my favorite downtown. You are drinking Mirror Pond from the bright tank at their downtown pub, they brew it there and serve it from the bright tanks. Probably one of the "freshest" beers available in town. Excellent food as well.

Lompoc (New Old Lompoc) on NW 23rd is a great low key hangout, especially when it is nice out (outdoor seating), and great beers and food.

+1 on Green Dragon, also awesome outdoor seating and great tap list.

It really depends on where you are staying, and if you have a rental car. Let us know where you are and I am sure there are good spots right around the corner.

Hopworks Urban Brewery has a great ESB, it's also a great place to get dinner. It's one of my stops if I'm up there for only a short time. On a complete flip side, check out Cascade Barrel house. All sour ales but worth the taster fee.

+1 for Hopworks and Green Dragon. Those were my favorite when I was in Portland, Hood River and Astoria. Deshutes is damn good too!

Thanks for all of the responses. Went to Deschutes and a couple places downtown since my time/travel ability was limited. I'll definitely try to hit Horse Brass on an upcoming trip, as I have family living SE. Lots of others to explore too, thanks.

Unfortunately, now it's back to L.A. and not as much of a beer culture.

Back