Wheat beer - lots of yeast floaties - beginner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbosco

Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have a wheat beer in primary that should be ready for bottling in the next week. This is the first wheat that I have brewed. It has been in primary for 3 weeks (or will be tomorrow). I know wheat beers are meant to be more cloudy, but I'm seeing a couple things I have questions about.

- When I take a hydrometer reading, it truly is beyond cloudy. It has the cloudiness I would expect, but it also has some decent sized yeast floaties that look like they would not be pleasant to drink. Within about 30 seconds of filling my tube, I see about 1/4 inch of yeast chunks have already fallen to the bottom of the tube. Is this normal? Do I just need a bit more patience to let the larger chunks settle out?

- 2nd question is more general. This is my sixth batch and for the first time, after three weeks, I still have a fairly substantial amount of kruesan sitting on top of the beer/wort. In the past it seems like this has typically settled out around the two week mark so just wondering if this is a typical of a wheat beer, or just typical variation you might see between batches.

Thanks in advance!

as for really really cloudy, you have a 5 gallon batch that is all together. it is going to look that way 10 fold as you have not separated it out into its own individual clear pint glass yet. not something to worry about.

Sounds normal to me. Did you taste the hydrometer sample? I've had the full range of yeast particles and krausen during primary. From crystal clear to small island yeast floaties and full krausen still on top after several weeks. It all depends on several factors including the grain bill, yeast used, temperature.... You could cold crash but if it were me (and I actually have a dunkelweizen going on 3 weeks in the primary that I am about to keg on Sat), I'd transfer and keg/bottle if its done.

I'm brewed up a wheat beer about 3 weeks ago and it still had a full inch krausen up til a few days ago.

Cool, sounds like the krausen is pretty typical.

It smells great and taste pretty good. My only real concern is the actual floaties/chunks as I gotta think those would be a bit gross to throw back. Not to mention SWMBO looks at me like I'm crazy for drinking what is currently there and she genrally loves wheats.

when you rack from the bottom of your fermenter to your bottling bucket and then to the bottles, those yeast rafts are going to be fairly busted up. i dont think it something you need worry about.

if you're kegging, i still dont think they will much of an issue

Back