First brew fermation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
My brew was very active for about 36 hours, then slowed down to barely a bubble. When I move my bucket I get bubbling for about ten minutes.

The temp in my basement dropped from 68 to 64 degrees. Should I turn up the heat or let it ride.

I am brewing Irish stout.

Thanks,
Bill

Should be fine, check the gravity in appx. 3 weeks, if it stays the same for about 4 days then bottle it up.

I generally don't see a lot of activity after 36 hours in my beers.

The mid sixties are my favorite neighborhood to brew in for ales. Some yeasts may not like it on the low end, but most do just fine. Definitely RDWHAHB.

Thanks, Have another question;

When going from the primary to the secondary do you transfer everything including all the trub, or will I be trying to filter out the trub?

I have only done 4 extract batches myself, but I have always left the trub behind. Keep the siphon above the sediment at the bottom so it doesn't suck it up. As it gets to the bottom I then gently rock the bucket to about a 45 degree angle and get as much as I can before I start seeing the trub coming with it. That is part of the reason to rack to a secondary, to get clearer beer. You will have sediment (trub) at the bottom of your secondary as well. When it is time to bottle or transfer to keg you will want to leave that behind as well.
I only brew Ale extract kits so far and technically there is no reason for me to transfer to secondary but I do just to get my beer as clear as possible.
Some other may respond with the case for getting your beer off the trub to reduce the chance of off flavors but so far I have never brewed anything that needed extended aging. 2 weeks then into the keg for me!
Good Luck.

Although a secondary is not needed for this brew, you simply wait for fermentation to complete, then rack it off the trub leaving it behind.

You will want to remove the beer from above the trub, but you won't be actively filtering anything. Assuming you are using some sort of auto-siphon you will just rack the beer over and then stop when you start sucking up lots of yeast and trub. You would however most likely be fine to just leave everything in primary for several weeks and then bottle/keg. But if you feel that you really need to use a secondary in this case just make sure you leave the beer in primary long enough for the yeast to finish fermenting and perhaps even clean up their waste a bit.

I have been told use primary for a week then secondary for 2 weeks. Should I reverse this? The kit instructions have also stated that schedule.

I am most likely over thinking this, I know most of my work is done it is up to nature to do the important parts, I just do not want to mess with that.

Back