Funnel filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
Just a quick question guys...

I was tranferring my wort from the kettle to the primary via a funnel with a filter. There was sooooo much sediment in the wort that it wouldn't even pass through the filter. It was down to a trickle.

Is the filter really necessary? After I fille the funnel once, I was using my thief to stir it around just to get it to drain. Once it did, I removed teh filter and poured the wort straight in unfiltered. I hope this wasn't a bad idea!

TIA,

John

I use a fine mesh strainer. I used to just dump the whole thing in there and not worry about it. My beers have gotten better since then, but I have no way of knowing how big of an impact the strainer has had. The strainer is probably not necessary.

It really doesn't matter either way.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches.

Everything is fine, it won't affect the beer one way or another. It will settle down anyway.

I just pour mine in without filtering it. Like Revvy said, it will settle out and I have found that it really doesn't take that much, if any, extra time to settle with or without filtering. I originally tired it the same way you did and had the same results, so I haven't used that filter in years.

I put an extra fine hop bag over my funnel filter to strain better. When the flow slows to a trickle, I rinse the filter and bag off, dunk or spray with sanatizer and repeat.

Personally, I like taking an extra 5-10 minutes to get that gunk out. ALOT still settles out later on, but its nice to pick up some clarification wherever I can.

I started using the strainer funnel due to the fact that I like to do yeast washing. I feel it makes it easier to wash the yeast.

Cheers

Back