# of kegs vs kegerator capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbachunk

Reaction score
So I was just wondering what everyone has keg wise and how many kegs they can have on tap with their kegerator.

I can have 3 on tap now (one sitting at room temp (55 F))
I have 11 5 gallon kegs and 1 10 gallon corny

I have 10 kegs right now and no kegerator. I can fit one keg in my fridge that has other stuff in there as well.

I was thinking of nearly cleaning out the fridge and having anthoer keg in there, but I the loss of space doesn't seem worth it at this point in time.

4 kegs, 4 taps

For those of you with an insane keg to tap ratio, are the untapped kegs full? I guess you do a good deal of keg conditioning? If so, how long do you usually condition a keg for?

3 kegs, none on tap... UNTIL SATURDAY! Then I will have 3 kegs and 2 taps. I will upgrade as soon as the initial sticker shock from building the kegerator wears off. I ended up deciding to do it right (perlick faucets, large enough freezer to accomodate more kegs and taps in the future, 10 lb CO2 tank, etc).

15 corny kegs, 2 1/2bbl, 1 1/6bbl, 2 dedicated rootbeer corny kegs

5 corny beer faucets, one corny rootbeer faucet, one sanke faucet

Variety is the spice of life!

4 kegs, 4 taps

For those of you with an insane keg to tap ratio, are the untapped kegs full? I guess you do a good deal of keg conditioning? If so, how long do you usually condition a keg for?

That is part of my plan. I also am bulk aging one mead right now and plan to do the same for others.

That is part of my plan. I also am bulk aging one mead right now and plan to do the same for others.

Me too. I got the kegs quite cheap, so I decided to get a bunch. I really like larger beers, so my plan is to build up a solid pipeline and bulk age some real monsters. It's surprising how fast one can fill up 10 kegs though...

3 taps, 11 kegs, 8 full.

Well, 2 of the kegs technically belong to my Bro-in-Law. I fill them up and bring them down to NC when I visit him, and bring them home empty.

4 kegs, 4 taps

I just got a great deal on them 12 at a time for $158 delivered . I have 10 rebuilt but they all hold pressure but one . I use it for parts and going to make wind shields if the burners fit out of it when I get my ass in gear and build the stand

I have 15 kegs and right now 4 taps( soon to be expanded to 9)

I need a lot more kegs. Hoping to get at least 15 more by the time I finish expanding the keezer to 9.

I just counted, I have four 3 gallon kegs, six 2 1/2 gallon kegs, and twelve 5 gallon kegs and I only have two taps.....

I generally don't use the three gallon kegs hat I have they are kind of an off size to use actually.

I mostly use them for parties I will fill 2 or 3 off the beers I have on tap sometimes with 3 gallons sometime less . This way I can bring a variety and its much easier than transporting three 5 gallon kegs.

The local distributor sells growlers of beer and he will fill them for me if I am having a party and I am a little short on beer

I mostly use them for parties I will fill 2 or 3 off the beers I have on tap sometimes with 3 gallons sometime less . This way I can bring a variety and its much easier than transporting three 5 gallon kegs.

The local distributor sells growlers of beer and he will fill them for me if I am having a party and I am a little short on beer

Ok this may be a dumb question, but how do you transfer from your kegs on tap to the 3 gallon keg? I only ask because I have never tried and this sounds like a good idea???

Yellow 70 Cooper

Ok this may be a dumb question, but how do you transfer from your kegs on tap to the 3 gallon keg? I only ask because I have never tried and this sounds like a good idea???

Yellow 70 Cooper

purge the empty then lower pressure on tapped keg to 4-6 psi remove the beer line hook up a jumper ,its just an Out QD and a IN QD with 2 feet of beverage line. Hook up Out to full keg and the In to the empty beer will flow and when it stops just vent the keg and it will start again. Basic transfer under pressure. I don't have the #'s in front of me but I put the 3 gallon on a scale and stop when it hits the weight I want for 2 or 3 gallons .

8 5 gallon
2 3 gallon
2 2.5 gallon
1 15 gallon for fermentation

Keezer has 3 taps, sep kegger holds 1 soda keg & 1 old kegger that I need to sell off as it is too much stuff going on.

purge the empty then lower pressure on tapped keg to 4-6 psi remove the beer line hook up a jumper ,its just an Out QD and a IN QD with 2 feet of beverage line. Hook up Out to full keg and the In to the empty beer will flow and when it stops just vent the keg and it will start again. Basic transfer under pressure. I don't have the #'s in front of me but I put the 3 gallon on a scale and stop when it hits the weight I want for 2 or 3 gallons .

Why wouldn't you do it with two "Out" QDs? I would think transferring to the bottom of the keg would yield better results rather than through the short tube of the "In".

Main kegerator holds 6 kegs and has 4 taps.

Portable kegerator holds 2 three gallon kegs and has two tap tower.

I own 8 five gallon kegs and 4 three gallon kegs.

Hmmm, I need some more kegs...

:ban:

Ok then I think I got it, but if I hook up on the out side of the full keg and on the in side (gas in line) on the empty won't it foam alot as there is no dip tube to constict the flow thus just splashing into the empty keg???

Two tap kegerator (holds three) and five total kegs. It's all I need to keep the pipeline flowing. I age long term in carboys.

I have 17 kegs, 5 taps. I use them for everything, for example, right now 1 is a primary fermenter, one is conditioning, one is a lagering vessel, one is carbonating apfelchampagne for bottling, 5 are on tap, 3 more ready for next weekend's brew, and the rest are full of star-san at the moment.

To answer your question Doc, conditioning ranges from 1 day to 1 year for me, depending on type of beer. However, I would never let my equipment dictate when a beer is ready, only the beer itself can tell you that.

Four taps and 8 kegs that work, one that doesn't and is used for parts and another I converted to a fermenter. I'd like to get four more.

Back