"Estery" Profile from 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwood

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used this yeast for pretty much all my pales and IPAs and I'm a bit confused. I just tasted a new IPA recipe that I did a few weeks ago and I swear it tastes like a belgian yeast profile. Is there any possibility that 1056 at 60-67F fermentation temps would put off fruity or clove like flavors? I wouldn't think it possible based on my experience to date.

There are only two things that I can come up with:

1) I just pitched a different yeast. On brew day I also made a couple of batches of apfelwein, one was with Cotes de Blanc and one was supposed to be with 3068. Maybe I swapped the 3068 for the 1056 on accident. I've not used the 3068 so I don't know what it will taste like, only what I've read.

2) This was my first big PM, maybe there was some phenolic/astringent flavors generated by my sparge. I mashed in my kettle at 152 on the dot and held it for an hour and then sparged in a seperate kettle with 170 water BUT I soaked the grain bag in the water for a good five minutes prior to transfering back to the boil kettle.

Here's the recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 11.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 112.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 26.67 %
4.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 26.67 %
0.47 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.18 %
0.28 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.49 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 80.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (40 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 13.4 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops

My guess would be that you switched them up. Like you, I've used 1056 many times, and even at higher temps have not getten a pronounced profile like the one you described. The 3068 is the Weihenstephan yeast and certainly gives off clove-like esthers (what you'd expect from a hefe). It's a very distinct aroma.
Did you make starters and think you mixed those up, or do you think you just mixed up the packs?

Is there any possibility that 1056 at 60-67F fermentation temps would put off fruity or clove like flavors? I wouldn't think it possible based on my experience to date.
How was that 60-67 measured? If it was air temp the wort could be anywhere from 70-77 from the heat produced during the fermentation process.

My guess would be that you switched them up. Like you, I've used 1056 many times, and even at higher temps have not getten a pronounced profile like the one you described. The 3068 is the Weihenstephan yeast and certainly gives off clove-like esthers (what you'd expect from a hefe). It's a very distinct aroma.
Did you make starters and think you mixed those up, or do you think you just mixed up the packs?

I didn't have time to make staters, I think I might have mixed up the packs. Thing is, that is just not like me...oh well.

How was that 60-67 measured? If it was air temp the wort could be anywhere from 70-77 from the heat produced during the fermentation process.

Air temp was held at 60-67. The themometer on the carboy (little sticker thingy) read 62-68. I'm not taking wort temps.

Back